Funding for students on postgraduate research courses

There are loans and financial awards available to help pay for fees and living costs while your studying for your research degree.

This guidance is for students studying for an MPhil, PhD or Doctorate at UCL and includes:

UCL Studentships and Scholarships

UK Research Council (RCUK) Studentships

Research Councils UK (RCUK) are responsible for investing public money in research in the UK. UCL departments apply to specific Research Councils for funding and then nominate the students they believe should receive the awards.

Research Council studentships are open to UK and EU residents. International students may also apply to a limited number of studentships with 'open eligibility'. This funding will usually pay your PhD fees and may also provide a stipend for living costs, depending on eligibility.

To apply for Research Council funding, contact your UCL department directly and they will confirm their application process.

For further information on eligibility and value, you can check the individual Research Councils' websites:
Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Medical Research Council (MRC)
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

UCL Studentships

Individual academic departments may offer their own awards (wholly funded by them or jointly funded with an industrial sponsor). You can do a search of the UCL studentships that are currently available by using the UCL PhD Opportunties Search.

UCL's Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) also provide research positions funded by the Research Councils.

You are also advised to check directly with your admitting department for the most up to date funding information.

If you receive a UCL studentship and have questions about how it is paid, please read this page for studentship awardees.

UCL Scholarships

UCL also administers a range of scholarships for research students from the UK, EU and Overseas. Use the scholarship finder to see what might be available.

Charities and Trusts

Some large research charities have substantial budgets for scholarships and grants.

Eligibility requirements for some of the major research charities are available through the links below:

Many other smaller organisations provide funding to PhD students. Turn 2 Us Grants Search database contains information on over 3,000 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants, as well as other support and services.

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online is a portal for alternative sources of funding - especially charities - which can make awards (fees, maintenance, research costs) to any student regardless of subject or nationality.  UCL has purchased a licence to the Guide so it’s free for all students and staff to use. If you are a prospective student who has applied to the university, please email the Student Funding team to access the PIN.

Lists of charitable grants and awards are kept in the following directories which are held in UCL libraries - see references below:

Charities Digest 2018: Selected charities & voluntary organisations

  • 1x Main Library - Reference R 20 CHA
  • 1x IOE Library - Reference Collection, Level 4, RF3 HEW CHA

Directory of Grant Making Trusts 2018-19

  • 2x Main Library - Reference R 20 DIR
  • 1x IOE Library - Reference Collection, Level 4, RF3 HEW DIR

Grants Register 2019

  • 1x Main Library - Ref Collection M, Reference R 20 GRA
  • 1x School of Pharmacy Library - Reference Shelves, Pharmacy 378.3 GRA

Guide to Educational Grants 2018/19

  • 1x Main Library - Reference R 20 GUI
  • 1x IOE Library -  Reference Collection, Level 4, RF3 EDU

Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need 2018/19

  • 1x Main Library - Reference R 20 GUI

Government Loans

Some governments provide loans or finanical support to students at PhD level, so it it worth checking with your home government whether there is any support available.

Below are the governmental loans that the UCL funding team help to administer. 

Student Finance England Postgraduate Doctoral Loan

YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIM61bOoNdQ

A Postgraduate Doctoral Loan can help eligible students from the UK and EU with course fees and living costs while they study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD.

Students starting in the 18/19 academic year can borrow up to £25,000 for their whole course. Students starting in the 19/20 academic year can borrow up to £25,700 for their whole course.

More information on the Student Finance Doctoral Loan can be found on the .gov website.

The government has been looking in to the possibility of an alternative Sharia-compliant funding system which would be available alongside traditional student loans. However at present this system is not yet in place.

U.S. Loans

UCL participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loans). This is the main U.S. Federal funding available to American students in the UK. 

The processing of loans at schools outside the US is different to that when applying to a school inside the US. Students applying to Direct Loans for study at UCL should follow the instructions carefully as we will not be able to administer your loan unless you submit that application to the Student Funding Office as outlined in the guidance.

Find out more about US Loans

Canadian Loans

Students from Canada may be able to apply for Canada Student Loans and provincial or territorial student assistance. 

Find out more about Canadian Loans

    Students with a disability

    Postgraduate research students who have a disability, mental health problem or specific learning difficulty and are being funded by one of the seven UK Research Councils can apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) to help with additional study-related requirements.

    You should contact the Disability Adviser or named contact on disability matters at your Research Council for advice.

    The UK Research and Innovation website names the DSA contacts at each of the UK Research Councils.

    If you have a disability, mental health problem or specific learning difficulty and are not being funding be a UK Research Council, you may still be able to access some funding for additional study-related costs from Student Support and Wellbeing.

    Disabled students who are not awarded a Disabled Students’ Allowance may also be eligible for a Student Health Association Bursary


    As a student, it is unlikely you will be able to claim benefits unless you have a disability or have children.

    The charity Turn2Us have guides on what benefits students may be eligible for. 

    If you are experiencing problems with your benefits, contact UCLU Rights and Advice Centre.

    Council tax

    Full-time students do not need to pay for council tax

      Other sources of funding

      Some sites list funding opportunities from external providers.

      The UCL Graduate School list some scholarship and funding opportunities on their website.

      Online aggregators like Postgraduate Studentships, Scholarship Search and Postgraduate Funding list schemes.

      Find a PhD has a comprehensive guide on funding a PhD

      Find information on more funds and scholarships for home students

      Find information on more funds and scholarships for EU and international students

      Current PhD students

      There are a number of sources of financial support for PhD students who are currently enrolled at UCL.

      The Doctoral School Fellowship

      The Doctoral School Fellowship is for current research students who, due to unforeseen circumstances, have their funding interrupted or completely withdrawn.

      To qualify candidates must be progressing well academically and demonstrate that without financial assistance they would not be able to complete their studies.

      The Financial Assistance Fund

      The Financial Assistance Fund is for UCL students who fall into unexpected financial hardship. 

      Emergency Loans

      Limited cash loans of up to £250 are available to students who have experienced a delay in their normal funding being paid.

      External grants and funding

      Some charities and organisations give financial support to current students studying perticular subjects or in particular circumtances.

      One of these is the charity Churches Together in Britain and Ireland who have a hardship fund for international students from developing countries who are facing financial hardship in the final stages of their course.

      Another is Funds for Women Graduates who have a range of grants to help female PhD students with living costs.

      Reduce costs and increase income

      If you are struggling to cover the costs of study, you can look at ways to reduce your costs and increase your income.

      As a postgraduate student you have the opportunity to become a Student Residence Adviser and eliminate your accommodation costs completely by living in UCL halls. In exchange, you work in a team supporting the undergraduates who live in halls, dealing with pastoral and disciplinary issues.

      Student Residence Adviser positions are advertised on the UCL Jobs site in February for the coming academic year.