Degree Certificates

Upon completion of your degree and conferral of your award, you will receive a degree certificate and official transcripts.

On this page you will find information on:

Degree certificates are legal documents and there should only ever be one in existence at any one time.

UCL degree certificates

Degree certificates are not handed out at UCL Graduation Ceremonies. Degree certificates are posted together with your final transcripts within 3 months from the date of conferral of your award by Royal mail (UK) or DHL (International). They are posted to your home address on your student record. Please update your home address via Portico or by emailing student records

If you do not receive your degree certificate within 3 months, please email Student Records to check the status of your degree certificate.

UCL will not be able to confer your award if you have an outstanding UCL tuition fee.

Your degree certificate will be issued in the full name as it is registered on your student record as can be seen on Portico.

UCL will not re-issue your degree certificate in a different name once your award has been conferred. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred or where the University is required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or education institution that your degree certificate or confirmation letter belongs to you, supporting documentation showing the name change should accompany the certificate. 

Please refer to UCL's guidance on updating your student details for procedures regarding name changes.

Certified copies of degree certificates

We cannot provide you with additional paper copies, electronic or scanned copies of the degree certificate. We do not currently certify copies of degree certificates. A solicitor or notary public will be able to certify copies of your degree certificate.

For further information and guidance on this, please contact the Student Union.

University of London awards

The following students would have been awarded by the University of London:

If you require a replacement degree certificate for an award made by University of London, please contact the Diploma Production office. Their details are:

Diploma Production Office
University of London 
Stewart House
32 Russell Square

Email: diploma.enquiries@london.ac.uk
Tel +44 (0) 207 862 8303
Fax +44 (0) 207 862 8287

Replacement certificates for Institution of Education awards

Replacement degree certificates for the awards made by the Institute of Education prior to August 2008 (as listed below), are no longer availableTranscripts for the the following awards are available via the on-line store.

  • Advanced Diplomas
  • Graduate Certificates
  • Certificate in Education
  • Postgraduate Certificates or Diplomas

All degree level awards made from September 2008 to 3 December 2014 were awarded by the Institute of Education. 

If you require a replacement degree certificate for an award made during this period, please refer to the replacement degree certificates section of this web page.

Replacement degree certificates for UCL Awards

Replacement degree certificates will only be produced where your degree certificate was never received, has been lost, damaged or destroyed. It can take up to 3 months to process and dispatch replacement degree certificates.

Once a replacement certificate has been issued, the original degree certificate is no longer valid and UCL will not confirm its validity if asked to do so by a third party. 

Replacement of a degree certificate where it was never received or was damaged in the post

If you never received your degree certificate because it was lost in post, UCL Student Records will process this free of charge. Before we can produce a replacement degree certificate, you will need to update your home address via Portico. If you no longer have access to Portico you must include your student number, date of birth, full name as registered at UCL and your home address in your request email to Student Records. 

Request a replacement of your degree certificate.

Replacement of damaged degree certificate

You must notify UCL Student Records and provide electronic evidence of your damaged degree certificate. Please include your student number, date of birth, full name, delivery address and electronic evidence in your email request.

Notify and request a replacement of your damaged degree certificate.

Replacement of a lost or destroyed degree certificate

You must provide UCL Student Records with a sworn affidavit (statutory declaration form), signed in the presence of a Magistrate or Commissioner for Oaths, stating the circumstances that led to the loss or destruction of the degree certificate. If your lost degree certificate is ever recovered, you must destroy it as it will no longer be valid.

You will then need to email your signed affidavit to the student records team. Please include your student number, date of birth, full name, reason for request of replacement certificate, delivery address and the statutory declaration form in your email request. 

Request a replacement of your lost/destroyed certificate.