How the student mediator will deal with your personal data.
The student mediator (“we” “us”, or “our”) - respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal data.
Please read this privacy notice carefully – it describes why and how we collect and use personal data and provides information about your rights. It applies to personal data you provide us and supplements the following wider UCL privacy notice(s):
- General privacy notice when you visit UCL’s website
- Student privacy notice
- Staff privacy notice
- Office of the Vice Provost Education and Student Affairs (OVPESA) local privacy notice.
We keep this privacy notice under regular review. It was last updated on 20 July 2018.
2. About us
The student mediator is part of the Office of the Vice Provost Education and Student Affairs (OVPESA) within University College London (UCL).
UCL, a company incorporated by Royal Charter (number RC 000631), is the entity that determines how and why your personal data is processed. This means that UCL is the ‘controller’ of your personal data for the purposes of data protection law.
3. Personal data that we collect about you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you. This may include:
- Your name, contact details and country of origin;
- Your photograph;
- Your degree programme;
- Your UCL identifiers e.g. UCL Person Identifier (UPI) or student number (SRN);
- ‘Special category’ data about you (this may include details about your disability, race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation etc.);
- The names and other details about third parties who are involved in the issues we are helping you with; and
- Notes from confidential meetings with you.
4. How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- To register you as a client and to manage our relationship with you;
- To help you with your enquiry. Depending on the circumstances, this may include special category personal data. Here, the processing of your information is carried out on the basis of your explicit consent.
Where the processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details set out below. Please note that this will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
We may also use anonymised data, meaning data from which you cannot be identified, for the purposes of:
- Reporting to steering groups or other UCL bodies
- Service evaluation.
5. Who we share your personal data with
Your personal data will be collected and processed solely by the student mediator.
Some personal information, such as contact details, may be processed by the student mediator administrator. The administrator does not have access to any confidential or special category data.
All information shared with the student mediator is confidential and will not be shared with a third party without explicit permission from you in writing.
6. International transfers
We will not transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA) for any purpose.
7. Information security
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. We have established procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
8. Data retention and storage
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
We will keep your personal data according to the Records Retention Schedule.
9. Your rights
Under certain circumstances, you may have the following rights under data protection legislation in relation to your personal data:
- Right to request access to your personal data;
- Right to request correction of your personal data;
- Right to request erasure of your personal data;
- Right to object to processing of your personal data;
- Right to request restriction of the processing your personal data;
- Right to request the transfer of your personal data; and
- Right to withdraw consent.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact the student mediator in the first instance, or the Data Protection Officer.
10. Contacting us
You can contact UCL by telephoning +44 (0)20 7679 2000 or by writing to: University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT.
Please note that UCL has appointed a Data Protection Officer. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
You can contact the student mediator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to complain about our use of personal data, please send an email with the details of your complaint to the Data Protection Officer so that we can look into the issue and respond to you.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) (the UK data protection regulator). For further information on your rights and how to complain to the ICO, please refer to the ICO website.