UCL Student Mediator


Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Please read the FAQs before contacting the student mediator.

Dr Ruth Siddall, UCL Student Mediator, answers lots of common questions about the service.

Is it anonymous?

Student mediation is completely confidential: discussions will remain anonymous unless you decide you want to take the complaint forward through formal channels (UCL procedure is to not accept anonymous complaints). Your first appointment is always a one-to-one confidential discussion.

Will I have to sit in the same room as the person I have a complaint against?

No. There are many ways to resolve an issue and all the options on how to proceed with the complaint can be discussed at your first one-to-one appointment.

I want to report a case of bullying and/or harrassment. Will this have to go through a face-to-face mediation process?

No, we can discuss what is best for you and most appropriate at our initial one-to-one meeting. Please view UCL's policy on bullying and harrassment.

Can I make an anonymous complaint about a person or process?

Yes, but if you want to take it forward formally, UCL policy states this can not be made anonymously. Remember, the first appointment is a one-to-one and is always confidential so I will be able to advise you of your options.

Can I ask for general advice about an issue?

Yes, and it will be impartial and confidential.

However, if your query is about health and wellbeing, you should contact the UCL Student Support team in the first instance. If it's about visa issues you should contact the Student Immigration Advice service.

Please note, I can not write letters in support of visa applications.

I want to dispute an exam mark, can you help?

As I only act informally, I can't get involved in formal procedure such as assessment. I can however investigate the issue to ensure processes have been followed correctly and can offer advice on how to make a formal complaint.

Can I book an emergency mediation appointment?

Student mediation is not an emergency service.

Where appropriate, you should contact UCL Security Services by dialling 222 on any UCL phone or the relevant authorities (999 from any phone). Or see the Student Support and Wellbeing Crisis Support page.

Appointments are made on a first-come first-served basis but I try to see students as soon as possible, depending on availability.

Can I have more than one session?

Yes, if it is needed. We can discuss this during our inital one-to-one appointment.

Who sees the notes made in the session(s)?

Only I do. They are handwritten, and not available on any UCL electronic system, and stay in my office which remains locked at all times.

Does student mediation have to be in person?

No, we can arrange our discussion to take place over the phone, by email or via Skype.

Will you take disciplinary action against a staff or student on my behalf?

As I am a neutral party, I cannot take disciplinary action against an individual or the institution. However, where appropriate, I can refer your case to UCL HR and Student Registry Services.

I am not sure if my problem fits the criteria, can I still make an appointment?

Yes. We can discuss potential options to resolve your issue at our one-to-one appointment. If student mediation is not approriate, I can offer general advice or put you in touch with someone who may be able to help.

Which types of students can make an appointment?

Student mediation is available to anyone enrolled on a UCL programme. This includes:

  • Part-time students
  • UCL Qatar and UCL Australia students (we can correspond via email and skype)
  • Affiliate students

If you are unsure, please get in touch.

Which types of students can not make an appointment?
  • Prospective students (please speak with UCL admissions
  • UCL alumni who graduated more than one academic year cycle ago.
  • Recent graduates are able to book an appointment provided they graduated last academic year.

If you are unsure, please get in touch.

I am a parent/guardian of a UCL student. Can I talk to you?

The Data Protection Act 1998 means I am only able to discuss issues with third parties if permission has been given by the person in question. Please ask the student that you are concerned about to contact me directly.

How can I book an appointment?

See the contact us page. Please note, you can't book an appointment via the Student Mediator twitter account.