Undergraduate degrees (BSc)
UCL is the only university offering these single honours degrees. Our programmes study how scientific knowledge is created and used. They allow you to combine a passion for science with an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the humanities and social sciences.
- science policy, ethics, and governance
- science communication, engagement and evaluation
- sociology of modern science and technology
UCAS U80 L391
- history of science, technology, and medicine from antiquity to the 20th century
- philosophy of science and medicine
- integrated history and philosophy of science (a thriving discipline that we helped invent!)
UCAS U80 V550
In addition to our two single honours degrees, STS contributes to several joint honours and shared BSc programmes. These combine STS expertise and career development with other types of training.
You only need to apply for one of our programmes. Students on both degrees take a common first year. If you find that you want to transfer to the other programme at the end of the first year, we can arrange this easily.
You can also listen to Prof. Joe Cain (STS Head of Department) and Dr Carina Fearnley (Undergraduate Admissions tutor) discuss the application process as part of our podcast series here:
Visit our student views page to find out what our current students and alumni think of the programmes and the department.
Our degrees prepare you for a wide variety of careers. Our alumni are working in diverse fields such as law, media, academia, museums, banking, and the civil service. Visit our careers page for more information.
For more information on the department, visit our About STS page.