Gender and IoT Cryptoparty
Nov 22, 2018 06:00 PM
End: Nov 22, 2018 09:00 PM
Location: Central London
Learn how to use digital technologies more securely
The event coincides with the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, taking place on the 25th of November.
This event is FREE of charge, and it will take place at a disability-friendly venue in central London.
Cryptoparty (6-7:15 pm)
The CryptoParty is a global decentralized movement that helps people protect themselves in the digital space. During our CryptoParty, attendees will have the chance to participate in one of the following sessions running in parallel:
1. How to store your data securely
2. Internet hygiene: browser security
3. Best practices for secure communication
4. Detecting compromised accounts
5. How to stay safe when using your phone
Panel discussion (7:30-9 pm)
The Cryptoparty will be followed by a panel discussion, where we will hear from UK policymakers, tech vendors, and charity representatives.
- Shari Vahl (Reporter and Presenter for BBC Radio 4) as moderator
- Andrew Laughlin (Principal Researcher, Which?)
- Vivienne Hayes (London VAWG Consortium and CEO, Women's Resource Centre)
- Leonie Tanczer (Lead Researcher, Gender and IoT, UCL)
- Martin Sadler OBE (Chair DCMS Secure by Design Expert Advisory Group and Former VP for Research and Lab Director, Hewlett Packard Enterprise)
During the panel, we will explore risks associated with emerging technologies such as smart devices. We will discuss ongoing policy developments taking place across the UK government (including the Domestic Abuse Bill and Internet Safety White Paper), the approaches that tech vendors are taking to reduce these risks, and steps that front-line service providers can take to deal with emerging forms of tech abuse.
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at frontline workers, support organisations, police representatives and policy officials. Any other interested parties are welcome to attend too.
Is there anything I need to bring?
Attendees are encouraged to bring laptops, phones and chargers to participate in the sessions.
Want to join?
Please express your interest in participating by emailing Isabel Lopez at email@example.com
Places to this event will be limited. Venue details will be shared with confirmed attendees.