|Position||Emeritus Professor of Statistics|
|Phone (external)||+44(0)20 7679 1872/1881|
|Themes||General Theory and Methodology, Computational Statistics, Biostatistics|
Trevor Sweeting is Emeritus Professor of Statistics in the Department of Statistical Science, UCL. He was Head of Department from 2007 to 2010. Trevor completed a PhD in Statistics in 1975 from the University of Sheffield. He was previously Professor of Statistics in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Surrey. External roles have included Associate Editorships (JRSS B, Biometrika, Annals of Statistics), RSS Honorary Secretary, and Chair of the RSS Research Section Committee.
Trevor's research has ranged from probability theory and theoretical statistics to applications in medicine, engineering, computer science and elsewhere. His current interests focus on Bayesian statistics and the theory of inference. Particular aspects include the effect of alternative prior specifications, particularly for prediction, computational aspects of Bayesian statistics and Bayesian nonparametric hierarchical modelling.
- Murugiah, S. and Sweeting, T. J. (2012). Selecting the precision parameter prior in Dirichlet process mixture model. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 142, 1947-1959. doi: 10.1016/j.jspi.2012.02.013
- Castro-Seoane, R., Hummerich, H., Sweeting, T., Tattum, H., Sandberg, M., Collinge, J. and Klöhn, P. (2012). Plasmacytoid dendritic cells sequester high prion titres at early stages of prion infection. PLOS Pathog., 8(2): e1002538. DOI: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1002538
- Sweeting, T. J. (2011). Invited discussion of M. Ghosh : Objective priors: an introduction for frequentists. Statistical Science 26, 206-209. doi: 10.1214/11-STS338B
- Hosseini, M., Cox, I., Milic-Frayling, N., Vinay, V., Sweeting, T. (2011). Selecting a subset of queries for acquisition of further relevance judgements. Advances in Information Retrieval Theory, Lecture Notes in Computing Science, 6031/2011, 113–124. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-23318-0_12
- Kharroubi, S.A. and Sweeting, T.J. (2010). Posterior simulation via the signed root log-likelihood ratio. Bayesian Anal., 5, 787-815.
- Smith, A.M., F.Z. Rahman, B.H. Hayee, S.J. Graham, D.J.B. Marks, G.W. Sewell, C.D. Palmer, J. Wilde, B.M.J. Foxwell, I.S. Gloger, T. J. Sweeting, M. Marsh, A. P. Walker, Stuart L. Bloom and A. W. Segal (2009). Disordered macrophage cytokine secretion underlies impaired acute inflammation and bacterial clearance in Crohn's disease. J. Exp. Med. 206:1883–1897 (doi:10.1084/jem.20091233)
- Sweeting, T. J. (2008). On predictive probability matching priors. IMS Collections: Pushing the Limits of Contemporary Statistics: Contributions in Honor of Jayanta K. Ghosh (B. Clarke and S. Ghosal, eds.), 3, 46-59.
- Sweeting, T. J., Datta, G. S. and Ghosh, M. (2006). Nonsubjective priors via predictive relative entropy loss. Ann. Statist., 34, 441-468.