These webpages provide a guide to the modules offered by the Department of Statistical Science that are available to students registered in other UCL departments. However, the guide is NOT intended for use by the following groups of students.
- Students taking compulsory modules in Statistical Science. These students will be registered automatically on Portico for the module(s) in question.
- Students enrolled on the BSc / MSci Mathematics and Statistical Science (MASS) programmes, for whom separate arrangements are made. These students should instead refer to the module selection information published by the Department of Mathematics.
- Students enrolled on the Mathematics and Statistics stream of the BSc / MSci Natural Sciences degree programmes, for whom separate arrangements are made. These students should instead refer to the module selection information published on the Natural Sciences website.
- Students on affiliate programmes who are enrolled at UCL during the autumn term only. None of the modules offered by the Department of Statistical Science are suitable for these students (because the final examinations do not take place until the summer term).
Please note: all Statistical Science modules are expected to be heavily subscribed for the 2020/21 session. Consequently, the Department will only be able to consider elective requests from students if there is a reciprocal agreement with their parent department. Therefore, any student wishing to register for a Statistical Science module as an elective should first consult their parent department to find out whether such an agreement is in place.
- Module type
The modules fall into two categories.
- Service modules specifically provided for students from other departments.
- Departmental modules primarily intended for students enrolled on the degree programmes offered by the Department of Statistical Science, but which may also be suitable for students from other departments.
In addition to having taken acceptable prerequiste courses, students from other departments may have to do some preliminary reading for some Departmental modules.
- Module availability
The modules fall into two categories.
- A module may be specified as Optional within a particular programme by formal agreement between the Department of Statistical Science and the relevant parent department. There may be a streamlined registration process for students from these programmes.
- Some modules are in principle available as an Elective to students from any UCL programme (at the corresponding level). Such students must generally consult a member of staff in the Department of Statistical Science as part of the registration process, who will determine whether they have the necessary academic prerequisites.
If a module is not designated as Elective in the below list (or does not feature in the list at all), registration attempts from students outside of programmes for which the module is Optional will be unsuccessful.
- Module list
Click on each module title for more information about availability, academic prerequisites, registration requirements, and for other relevant details.
Code Title Level Term Type Availability STAT0005 Probability and Statistics II 6 1 Service Optional STAT0006 Linear Models and the Analysis of Variance 5 1 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0007 Stochastic Processes 6 2 Service Optional STAT0008 Statistical Inference 6 & 7 1 Departmental Optional STAT0009 Stochastic Systems 6 & 7 1 Departmental Optional STAT0010 Forecasting 6 & 7 2 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0011 Decision and Risk 6 & 7 2 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0013 Stochastic Methods in Finance 6 & 7 1 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0015 Medical Statistics 2 7 2 Departmental Optional STAT0017 Selected Topics in Statistics 7 2 Departmental Optional STAT0018 Stochastic Methods in Finance II 6 & 7 2 Departmental Optional STAT0019 Bayesian Methods in Health Economics 7 2 Departmental Optional STAT0020 Quantitative Modelling of Operational Risk and Insurance Analytics 6 & 7 2 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0021 Introductory Statistical Methods and Computing 4 1 or 2 Service Optional, Elective STAT0022 Introductory Statistical Methods 4 1 & 2 Service Optional STAT0024 Social Statistics 5 2 Departmental Elective STAT0025 Optimisation Algorithms in Operational Research 6 1 Departmental Elective STAT0026 Statistics for Medical Scientists 5 1 & 2 Service Optional STAT0028 Statistical Models and Data Analysis 7 1 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0029 Statistical Design of Investigations 7 1 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0030 Statistical Computing 7 1 & 2 Departmental Optional STAT0031 Applied Bayesian Methods 7 2 Departmental Optional, Elective STAT0038 Decision and Risk 7 2 Service Optional
- Advice and registration
A series of virtual module registration sessions with a member of the teaching staff will be held at the beginning of Term 1 via MS Teams. These sessions can be used by any student to obtain general advice and information about the suitability of Statistical Science modules. However, they are a mandatory component of the registration process for certain modules (see previous section).
Date Time (UK) Staff Member Monday 28 September 2020 10:00-12:00 Dr Samuel Livingstone Tuesday 29 September 2020 10:00-12:00 Dr Samuel Livingstone Wednesday 30 September 2020 11:00-13:00 Dr Samuel Livingstone Thursday 01 October 2020 11:00-13:00 Dr Samuel Livingstone Friday 02 October 2020 10:00-12:00 Dr Samuel Livingstone
To book onto one of the sessions, email Dr Livingstone with details of your preferred date. Dr Livingstone will then attempt to contact you via MS Teams during the time window stated. After 02 October, email Dr Livingstone for information about further available sessions.
Date Time (UK) Staff Member Tuesday 29 September 2020 11:30-16:30 Dr Codina Cotar
To book onto the session, email Dr Cotar to reserve a place. Dr Cotar will then attempt to contact you via MS Teams during the time window stated. After 29 September, email Dr Cotar for information about further available sessions.
The Department of Statistical Science will give teaching department approval to as many registrations as possible until a module is at capacity. If a module is oversubscribed, optional registrations will be prioritised over electives.
If a student selects a module on Portico but then fails to attend one of the virtual registration sessions where this has been indicated as a requirement, their selection will ultimately be rejected.
- Teaching arrangements
Details of teaching events and learning resources for each module are available from the UCL Timetable and Moodle. After confirming your selection on Portico, you will be automatically enrolled onto the Moodle course for the module and any required tutorial/workshop allocations will be arranged by a Teaching & Learning Administrator before lessons are due to start. Your tutorial/workshop group will then be accessible from your online timetable. However, it may take one or two working days after selection on Portico before all of these processes are completed. Note also that, once allocated, your tutorial/workshop group will NOT be changed unless you can demonstrate a timetable clash.
Students' attendance at tutorials and workshops will be monitored. Unsatisfactory attendance or an unsatisfactory coursework record will be reported to a student's Programme Tutor.