Find out more about the background, drivers and aims of the new staff intranet.
This project was initiated in response to staff feedback from several surveys over the past few years which have surfaced the frustration experienced by staff when accessing key information or carrying out everyday tasks. The new intranet project supports other major UCL initiatives which are also seeking to move towards more customer-centric services.
With many webpages containing potentially confusing guidance and instructions spread across multiple websites, we have set out to transform the current fragmented offering into a single intranet with intuitive signposting, easy to follow guidance and relevant communications which will help staff perform the process parts of their roles efficiently, leaving them more time to focus on the important aspects.
- To provide staff with a streamlined intranet where they can:
- Find relevant guidance, instructions and information
- Access relevant internal communications
- Find events and opportunities to get involved in the UCL community
- Access UCL policy, organizational and compliance information
- To increase self-service offering
- To reduce the number of enquiries to the Service Desk and other support staff
- To support the online information needs of other business initiatives such as TOPS, PS Hub
Agile approach: why the intranet is still a beta
Recognised as world leaders in public sector digital innovation the Government Digital Service (GDS), who run gov.uk have established a set of design principles which have transformed the provision of online public services.
To deliver on the project aims we are applying GDS best practice design principles in the following ways:
- Delivering a beta version which can be built upon and improved in response to user feedback. The beta label will remain for some time to come as we gather feedback in order to plan for later phases
- Researching the way people currently use information and web content to ensure we build the right thing
- Doing the hard work in the background to make things simpler for the user to access the information they need
- Making content as easy to read and understand as possible
The project team have been working closely with departments to transform content using these design principles.
An improved user experience where people can:
- Easily find what they are looking for
- Quickly read and understand information
- Complete everyday tasks without the need for support
How will the new intranet affect me?
The new intranet also provides:
- A central task library with new clear step-by-step guides to help you complete everyday tasks from booking travel to requesting parental leave
- Improved signposting to other staff information across UCL’s digital estate
- A new central staff communication channel to keep you up to date with news, announcements and opportunities to get involved in life at UCL
We will build upon the beta version over the coming months. If you have any feedback please email email@example.com
Frequently asked questions
Find out answers to common questions on the project approach: