SSEES welcomes study abroad students to the department each term/semester.
Study Abroad at UCL SSEES
SSEES welcomes study abroad students to the department each semester (term). The School is one of the world's leading specialist institutions and the largest national centre in the UK for the study of Central, Eastern and South-East Europe and Russia. We are one of the world's very best universities, consistently placed in the global top 20 in a wide range of world rankings. The SSEES Library is unique in the UK for the quantity of research material on open access, for its collections of journals and newspapers from the region, and for its extensive audio-visual holdings. Our central London location means you are in the centre of political, cultural and intellectual life and we are proud to welcome the very best students from more than 65 countries, providing a diverse, dynamic and stimulating environment for learning.
Living in London
London is a great place for culture, history, art and leisure and was recently ranked the best city in the world for university students (QS Best Student Cities 2018):
- London's art galleries range from the classic, with national collections (the Tate Modern and Tate Britain, and the National Gallery) to the ultra-modern (White Cube, the Whitechapel Gallery).
- Mixed performance and exhibition spaces such as the Barbican, the Institute of Contemporary Arts and the Southbank Centre, offer a range of exhibitions, films and events.
- You can find theatre of all sorts, as well as shows and musicals, in the Theatreland district around Leicester Square and Covent Garden.
- Sports fans have plenty to keep them occupied - from cricket at Lords or the Oval to tennis at Wimbledon, the annual London Marathon, football, rugby and NFL games at Wembley among many others.
- London is steeped in history and has many attractions such as the Tower of London and Museum of London, which trace the life of the city from its pre-Roman origins to the present day.
- London is also a hub for music, with gigs and concerts taking place every night and covering all genres.
- There are various guides to help you explore the capital and make your time in the city more enjoyable, such as Visit London and Time Out.
How to Apply
All affiliate/exchange applicants must apply formally via the UCL Online Portal. Guidance on the application process and deadlines can be found on the UCL Study Abroad pages.
If you are a PhD student wishing to apply for a visiting research student position, please see information and application details on the Visiting Research Student pages.