Director's Welcome to UCL SSEES
I am delighted to welcome you to the School of Slavonic and East European Studies! Our unique community of UCL academics, researchers, students, and professional services staff is dedicated to the interdisciplinary investigation of a region of critical economic, cultural, and political significance.
We are unique because of our size and because of the way we imbed interdisciplinarity into everything we do, from teaching to research to public engagement. Founded in 1915, SSEES is home to one of the world’s largest concentrations of academic staff devoted to the study of the East European and Slavonic region, including Russia and Central Asia, with about 80 academics whose fields include business and economics, history, literature and culture, politics, sociology and the teaching of 18 foreign languages. All students have the opportunity to learn a language of the region. At the heart of our SSEES building is our world-leading library, with a dedicated staff and collection supporting innovative teaching and cutting-edge research. Our interdisciplinary research centres and seminars mobilise knowledge on such critical current topics as populism, economic integration, memory politics, corruption, and global informality.
Nearly one thousand students receive research-embedded teaching from world-leading experts, many in our highly rated undergraduate programmes, including the interdisciplinary History, Politics, and Economics degree, as well as business and economics, politics and sociology, and languages and culture. Our postgraduate programmes include the two-year International Masters in Economy, State, and Society, with a year of study in a university from the region. All students benefit from our rich programmes of lectures and symposia that bring together some of the leading experts on the region from London and around the world.
We look forward to welcoming you to join UCL SSEES,
Diane P. Koenker
Director, UCL SSEES
Why Study at UCL SSEES?
- We are one of the world's very best universities, consistently placed in the global top 20 in a wide range of world rankings. Currently we are 10th in the QS World University Rankings (2021).
- For REF 2014 UCL was the top-rated university in the UK for research strength and SSEES contributed a number of 4* (the highest) submissions which result in real world impact. You can read our case studies on the UCL Impact website.
- The SSEES Library is unique in the UK for the quantity of research material on open access, for its collections of journals and newspapers from the region, and for its extensive audio-visual holdings. It is housed in our award-winning building.
- Our central London location means you are in the centre of political, cultural and intellectual life. We have forged strong relationships with institutions that include Chatham House, the British Chamber of Commerce, the EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development), the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the British Library, Transparency International and NGOs like Health Prom and the BEARR Trust – all of which have offered SSEES students and scholars internships or other opportunities for collaboration.
- Our programmes allow interdisciplinary study across our four subject areas: Economics and Business, Politics and Sociology, History, and Languages and Cultures. All students have the option of learning a language of the region, some of which cannot be studied full time anywhere else in the UK.
- Around 90% of UCL graduates enter work or further study within six months of graduating, and our graduates earn around £3,000 more than the national average (data taken from the 'Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education' survey undertaken by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), looking at destinations of UK and EU graduates in the 2015 cohort).