Director's Welcome to UCL SSEES
Welcome to the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), one of the UK's largest institutions for research and teaching on Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, the Baltics, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
SSEES is home to one of the world’s largest concentrations of academic staff devoted to the study of the Slavonic and East European region, with some 80 academics engaging in teaching and research in the fields of politics, sociology, economics, business, history, languages, literature and culture, all underpinned by our commitment to language-based area studies.
It is the purpose of SSEES to promote the interweaving of disciplines around the common study of our region and its problems and to encourage the study of one of the unparalleled range of 18 languages from the region that we offer. Our graduates leave UCL not only with detailed disciplinary and interdisciplinary expertise but also with a keen awareness of the social, political and cultural specificities of a strategically important and constantly changing part of the world.
Why Study at UCL SSEES?
- UCL has been awarded the University of the Year 2024 by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide. Find out more here.
- We are one of the world's very best universities, consistently placed in the global top 20 in a wide range of world rankings. Currently, we are 9th in the QS World University Rankings (2024).
- For REF 2021, UCL was second in the UK for research power, with SSEES coming third in research power among Area Studies Units. You can read our case studies on the SSEES website.
- The SSEES Library is unique in the UK for the quantity of research material on open access, for its collections of journals and newspapers from the region, and for its extensive audio-visual holdings. It is housed in our award-winning building.
- Our central London location means you are in the centre of political, cultural and intellectual life.
Please book ahead if you would like to discuss one of our programmes.