These pages were compiled during the Euromaidan protests and annexation of Crimea in 2013-14.
SSEES have created a new Ukraine hub for the 2022 invasion.
In November 2013, Ukraine's then President Viktor Yanukovych, decided to pull out of an association deal with the European Union, sparking huge street protests that eventually led to his downfall.
In March, Russia reacted by annexing the Ukrainian region of Crimea and unrest began growing in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian sentiment is strong. As a result, relations between the West and Moscow have soured dramatically.
SSEES Commentary & Resources
Various SSEES academics have played a key role in commenting on the crisis across both UK and international media outlets. The SSEES library has compiled a directory of key resources and continues to provide regular updates on the situation.
- Ukraine’s 2014: a belated 1989 or another failed 2004? (Dr Andrew Wilson’s blog)
- European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR) (Dr Andrew Wilson's blog)
- UCL SSEES Library Twitter
Global Media Commentary, Videos & Visits
- International Press
- Ukraine or Russia: Who will blink first? (13 November 2014)
Dziennik Gazeta Prawna
- Rozpoczęło się publiczne śledztwo ws. zabójstwa Litwinienki (2 August 2014)
East European Politics and Societies (Sage Publications) Foreign Affairs
- Belarus Wants Out (21 March 2014)
El País La Vanguardia
- Una aventura muy arriesgada (10 March 2014)
- Andrew Wilson explains political scenarios for Ukraine (28 January 2014)
The Wall Street Journal
- Andrew Wilson addresses president Yanukovych's regime style(27 January 2014)
- Ukrainian Protesters Clash With Police Over Snubbing of EU Trade Deal (25 November 2013)
New York Times
- Signs of Momentum Shifting to Protesters in Ukraine (14 December 2013)
South China Morning Post
- Ukraine's Viktor Yanukovych a hard nut to crack for pro-EU opponents (8 December 2013)
- Ukraine protesters demand that government go (2 December 2014)
- UK Press
- Ukraine Crisis: What It Means for the West by Andrew Wilson – Book Review (5 November 2014)
- Tatar Sunni Muslims pose a threat to Russia's occupation of Crimea (5 March 2014)
- Ukraine conflict: the regime will finish what it started (19 February 2014)
- Viktor Yanukovych: can the great survivor of Ukraine politics hang on? (2 December 2013)
- Nigel Farage is another of Moscow's darlings as Putin backs Right (Sunday June 1 2014)
The Daily Mirror Foreign Policy
- Her Own Worst Enemy (27 February 2014)
Independent on Sunday
- Why a new Ukraine is the Kremlin's worst nightmare (23 February 2014)
The New Statesman
- Rocks and Molotovs vs Snipers' Bullet (5 December 2013)
- Hedging their bets, Ukraine's oligarchs sit above the fray (23 November 2013)
- Playing East against West (23 November 2013)
- Videos and Radio Recordings
Polish National Radio
Pete Duncan speaks to Adam Dabrowski of PolskieRadio on Russia-West relations in general and Litvinenko. (2 Aug 2014).
Al Jazeera Interview
Andrew Wilson talks to Al Jazeera on the crisis in Ukraine and the Russian intervention in Crimea:
On 25 February 2014, Andrew Wilson visited Downing Street to discuss the crisis in Ukraine.