As a UCL Mellon Fellow, Hudek focused on histories of display as educational devices. The primary resources for his research were objects belonging to UCL Museums & Collections, in particular lesser-known collections such as the Great Ormond Street Hospital collection of specimens and records. By considering the spaces and audiences with which such objects interact over time, this project sought to better understand how systems of display can be deployed to translate knowledge, power and affect.
Hudek was born in Geneva. After studying visual art, he turned to art history as an undergraduate. Since completing his PhD, Hudek has been Researcher at Jan van Eyck Academie, Maastricht (working on the exhibition 'Les Immatériaux') and AHRC-funded Research Fellow at Camberwell College of Arts (working on the John Latham Archive). As an integral part of his practice, Hudek curates exhibitions and translates art theory from French to English.
In 2008 he co-founded, with Sara De Bondt , the non-profit publishing house Occasional Papers, presenting affordable books devoted to the histories of architecture, art, design, film and literature.
- 2006: PhD in Art History Invisible Painting: mimetic pictorialism in post-modern New York, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 2001: MA in Art History, Museum Tremens or the mausoleum without walls : working through les immatériaux at the centre pompidou in 1985, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 1999: BA in Art History, Dartmouth College, Hanover NH (USA)
Scholarships and Awards
- 2006-2008: Ikea-Stiftung (Schweiz), Jan van Eyck Academie, Maastricht
- 2001-2005: ORS, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- 2000-2001: Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
- The Portable John Latham (London: Occasional Papers, 2010), co-editor with Athanasios Velios
- The Break-up of New British Sculpture, Series: Essays on Sculpture, 45, (Leeds: Henry Moore Institute, 2005) ISBN: 1900081547 | ISBN: 9781900081542
- 'Interview with Conrad Atkinson' in Conrad Atkinson, Conrad Atkinson Landescapes, (Claverack, N.Y. : John Isaacs Books, 2006) ISBN: 0977297101
- 'interview with Conrad Atkinson' in Eric Fernie Excavated Mutilations: new work by Conrad Atkinson (London : Courtauld Institute Gallery, 2002)
- Tate Papers: Tate's online research journal, 12 (2009) co-edited with Marko Daniel
- 'From Over- to Sub-Exposure: the anamnesis of Les Immatériaux', Tate Papers: Tate's online research journal, 12 (2009)
- 'Enthousiasme: ou le cinéma à venir', Multitudes n.30, Fall 2007, pp.117-127
- 'The Sensive Image: de-thinking the figure with Bataille and Levinas', Image[&]Narrative, 2007
- With Mary Lydon, 'Discourse, Figure' by Jean-François Lyotard, (University of Minnesota Press, 2011)
- 'Le Corbusier as Book Designer: Semi-Modernity à la française' by Catherine de Smet, in The Form of the Book Book, Occasional Papers, 2010
- Frog (Fall 2010), review of 'End' by Gregor Schneider, Museum Abteiberg, Mönchengladbach
- Frieze (May 2010), review of 'The Razzle Dazzle of Thinking' by Sturtevant, Musée d'art moderne, Paris