Please note: Summer School courses are not accredited. If you have attended one of our short courses and would like to reference this on your CV, please state “Slade Summer School”.
How to book
Please see Booking and Fees for full details.
The information given are accurate at the time of publication, however, the Slade Summer School reserves the right to cancel or amend the described courses as circumstances dictate.
1. Please note: Course fee does not include the cost of materials unless otherwise noted.
2. The UCL General Student Privacy Notice sets out how any personal data we collect from you through your electronic and/or paper application to UCL will be processed by us. This notice also sets out the basis on which any personal data related to your application which is passed to us by individuals and by third parties is collected and processed. The UCL General Student Privacy Notice is available by following this link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/legal-services/privacy/student-privacy-notice
3. The language of instruction at UCL is English. Applicants should have a level of spoken English that will allow them to benefit fully from the course. Please contact the Slade office if you would like to discuss this further.
4. If you have a disability we encourage you to contact the Slade office prior to making an application, to discuss any requirements you may have.
5. Slade Short Courses are designed for adults and the students attending our courses usually span a wide range of ages. Applicants who are below the age of 18 (17+) will be asked to provide additional documentation. For full details see: students under 18.
All course fees must be paid in full at the time of booking.
Summer School Foundation fees can be paid in full at the time of booking or in two instalments:
- The first instalment is £2,000 and must be paid at the time of booking.
- The second instalment of £2,000 is due one month before the course starts
Foundation students must pay both instalments of £1,800 by 28 February 2019 if they wish to have the Early Bird Discount applied on both instalments. If the second instalment is not received by 28 February 2019, the second instalment of £2,000 will be due one month before the course starts.
Please see Booking and Fees.
We welcome applications from people of all levels of experience, except where indicated in the course information. Some courses are physically demanding so please contact the Slade before making your booking if you have any health problems or special needs.
You may enrol for as many courses as you wish, within the following regulations:
- You must enrol for the complete course. Each course is full-time.
- No transfers or substitutions are permitted once a course has started
- No refunds unless notified one month before the course start date.
Students are advised to book their chosen course as soon as possible as places are strictly limited. Places are secured on a first-come basis on receipt of appropriate payment.
Applications at short notice will be considered if places are available.
The Slade Summer School is designed for adults and the students attending our courses usually span a wide range of ages. For those students interested in attending a short course who are below the age of 18 (17+), we ask you to provide the following documents in addition to the application form so that we may consider you:
- A letter from your art teacher, head of art, head of year or equivalent at your school stating your suitability for the course and
- A letter from your parent or guardian confirming that you will have appropriate accommodation for the duration of the course, and that personal liability and contents insurance has been set up for you.
Low Tech Photography, Contemporary Painting and Expanded Field of Drawing are not suitable for under 18s.
All students are expected to abide by the UCL Code of Conduct for Life Learners which can be found at www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-manual/c9/requirements/#11
We ask that you treat staff and any property belonging to staff, other students, or the School and College with due respect, care and consideration.
Refunds are only available on cancellations made in writing at least one month before the course start date and are subject to a £25 administrative charge. Refunds can not be made under any circumstances less than one month before the start of a course. Students who do not attend or withdraw from a course due to illness, personal or professional commitments, do not have the right to refunds or transfers. We strongly recommend that all students take out personal insurance against any unforeseeable circumstances.
Please bring proof of identity with you on the first day of the course and this will be checked at enrolment. This should be one of the following: a valid Passport (& Visa where appropriate), a UK Driving Licence or a European National Identity card.
As part of the enrolment session, we will take your photograph for the class list. If you do not wish to have your photograph taken, just let us know on the day.
Attendance certificates can be provided upon request once the course has been completed. These can only be supplied in the year of attendance and cannot be retrospectively produced.
Please note that unless otherwise stated in the relevant course information, materials are not included in the short course fees and will not be provided. Materials lists will be provided to all students around one month before the course start date.
Working with the unclothed life model is a mandatory part in the following courses: Life Drawing, Life Painting and Life Painting: Perception and the Sustained Pose.
All courses are practical and studio-based. The courses run from 9.30am-4.30pm, followed by an optional evening programme on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 5.00 pm, which normally lasts an hour. Studio access is from 8.30am–5.00pm for the first two weeks and thereafter from 8.30am-5.00pm on Mondays and Fridays and 8.30am–7.00pm on Tuesdays to Thursdays.
The Slade is well-served by public transport and details can be found at www.ucl.ac.uk/maps/public-transport. Parking places are not available at UCL (although special arrangements can sometimes be made in advance for students with disabilities). There are meters and NCP car parks nearby and bicycle racks in the UCL quad. Please note that we are located within the Congestion Charge zone.
The Slade School of Fine Art welcomes applications from disabled students. It is essential that students with any special needs discuss their requirements with the Administrator before making a formal application.
Summer School students are required to attend a Safety Induction at the beginning of their studies. Students will be expected to follow guidance on studio use as briefed.
Students are provided with their own locker for storage of art materials. Padlocks can be purchased for £1 when you enrol. Alternatively,2 you can bring your own padlock with a shackle size of around 5mm. Please take care of your belongings at all times and never leave valuables unattended. We regret that we cannot be held responsible for the loss of students' belongings. Students must make sure that they take all work and belongings away at the end of the course.
UCL Residences offers accommodation during the summer. For details see, www.ucl.ac.uk/residences. The Slade cannot book accommodation on behalf of students and all accommodation costs must be met by the student.
Overseas students are advised to take out private health insurance.
All students whose first language is not English should have a reasonable proficiency in the English language in order to fully benefit from the courses.
For further details of any of the courses, please contact the Slade Summer School, Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, telephone +44 (020) 7679 2313/2317, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.