Book a place
In this programme you'll enhance your understanding of strategic leadership and advance your leadership skills so you can:
- lead and influence others within your team and beyond
- understand the use of motivation as a leadership tool
- learn about leading yourself and your team
- clarify your communication style and strengths, including how you motivate others
- deal with contentious issues and whole school initiatives
It's aimed at new leaders in senior leadership roles or experienced middle leaders in education with at least three years' experience.
The programme is designed to increase your professional knowledge and understanding. This will have a positive impact on your leadership behaviour, which will benefit your school and leadership team.
You'll also have excellent networking opportunities.
You'll need to attend three full days and a final twilight session at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
This programme is level three in a suite of courses designed for school leaders. It's based on the most up-to-date research and you'll be taught by curriculum experts from the London Centre for Leadership in Learning (LCLL) at UCL IOE.
Who this course is for
You should be either:
- a new leader in a senior leadership team
- an experienced middle leader in education with at least three years' experience, and involved in whole-school activities - who has already undertaken previous professional middle leader development
The programme runs over two terms, with three and a half days of face-to-face sessions:
Day one: Communication
- Sharing a vision
- Schools as learning organisations
- Appreciative enquiry
- Evaluating and tackling impact
Day two: Motivation
- Leading change
- Emotionally intelligent leadership
- Goals and motivations for change
- Blockers and enablers
- Theories of action
Day three: Dialogue
- 360 discussion
- Distributing leadership
- Team effectiveness
- Transforming dialogue
- Time management
- Present your leadership 'focus for change' project
- Learning conversation
- Future pathways
You'll attend three face-to-face leadership days and a final twilight session at UCL IOE.
You'll carry out inter-sessional tasks between the leadership days, which span two terms.
Throughout the programme you'll carry out a 'focus for change' project, working with a small group, and present this in a learning conversation at the end of the programme.
Certificates and assessment
You'll receive a certificate of completion at the end of the programme.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- learned to lead yourself and your team
- clarified your communication style and strengths
- understood the use of motivation as a leadership tool
- advanced your skills in leading and influencing others
- intensified your impact on learning and teaching practices
- gained confidence in dealing with contentious issues and whole-school initiatives
The six-month programme runs twice a year, starting in the autumn and spring terms.
Contact the course administrator for further details of start dates.
Other programme delivery options
Schools, collaboratives and local authorities
The programme can be run on-site for schools, groups of schools, local authorities and multi-academy trusts. Contact the course administrator for costs and more information.
For international schools and groups of schools the programme can be run at your overseas venue - contact the course administrator for costs and more information.
View the programme flyer (pdf) for further details.
"I feel I have grown in confidence and will be able to use many of the strategies the facilitators have expertly delivered and shared. The facilitators' enthusiasm and support has been great."
"Thanks so much, the programme has made an enormous impact on my career development and of my understanding of effective leadership."
"Superbly planned and executed by professional and articulate leaders. It has changed my view of what leadership is and my perception of my own qualities."
"Great range of learning tools, variety of learning styles covered. Great confidence builder with relevant information."
Book a place
Course information last modified: 7 Aug 2019, 15:14