Book a place
This one-day practical course for science technicians focuses on building the knowledge, key skills and techniques you need to effectively support A level biology teaching and student learning.
You'll learn how effectively support a range of practical activities through hands-on experience of a variety of apparatus and experiments.
This course is run by IOE, UCL's faculty of education and society.
The course will cover:
- the current A level curriculum
- approaches to experiments known to be problematic and to help ensure successful results
- ways to incorporate ICT (information and communication technology) into lessons
- health and safety, risk assessments and keeping up-to-date
You'll also look at three experiments in detail:
Practical activities will include a heart rate investigation, making dilutions, colorimetry, photosynthesis and ecology tips.
Who the course is for
This course is suitable for all secondary school and college science technicians, especially those working with Key Stages 4 and 5.
You'll need to be working as a science technician in a school or college.
This course will help you to:
- improve your awareness of the practical demands of A level biology
- consider strategies for providing effective technical support
- gain confidence in the support you provide for the science department and students
- learn new skills and techniques to ensure good quality practical work and share good practice
- gain experience in the set-up and demonstration of key biology experiments, including relevant safety precautions
- understand hazard identification and risk assessment and the importance of keeping up to date
The course is delivered mainly as a practical workshop with some lectures/discussion.
The price is £180 which includes course materials and a packed lunch.
If you are not able to pay by debit/credit card, an invoice will be raised for upfront payment. If this is your preferred method of payment, fill in the short course booking form and you will receive a confirmation once your booking has been processed manually.
You'll get a certificate of attendance on completing the course.
Stephanie is a professional tutor and consultant for science technicians who work in an educational setting.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 30 Nov 2022, 16:01