Book a place
This three-day course gives you an introduction to the tools and techniques used by systems engineering teams to achieve a successful outcome on complex systems projects.
It's run by staff from UCL's Centre for Systems Engineering (UCLse) who have a mixture of academic and industrial experience.
As well as introducing you to the tools and techniques used by systems engineering teams for successful outcomes on complex systems projects the course explores the management challenges of systems engineering.
The methods covered are applicable to the management of complex engineering projects in a wide range of sectors such as aircraft, space, rail, automotive, marine, defence, information technology and civil engineering.
Topics covered include:
- systems and systems thinking
- systems engineering and the systems engineering lifecycle
- requirements, designing the system and sub-system development
- integration, verification and validation
- support and disposal
- managing design integrity
- systems engineering management
You'll be given a hard copy of the taught material.
Who this course is for
The course is relevant to anyone involved in systems engineering or system development projects, such as:
- engineers from all disciplines including systems engineers and system specialists
- project managers and project management professionals
- managers and staff from marketing, finance, procurement, manufacturing, support, quality, human resources, research and other business functions
You may be working on systems projects, managing systems projects or managing engineering project staff.
You may work in a business which develops or procures systems, and need to know more about the systems engineering process.
The course is suitable for those who are new to the area as well as those that do have some knowledge and/or experience.
The course is delivered as a combination of interactive taught sessions and group exercises.
This short course will help you to better understand:
- systems thinking techniques and the important concepts within systems engineering
- the major parts of the engineering lifecycle from requirements to integration, verification and validation
- the importance of considering support and disposal requirements and managing design integrity
- the roles and responsibilities of those involved in the management of complex systems projects
Simon is a project manager in the Technology Management Group. He has significant practical experience of project management and has been lecturing in the subject for the last eight years. He spent 20 years working in the defence industry at Rolls Royce and British Aerospace on several aircraft. He has also managed several change projects including the development of new resource management systems. He is a chartered engineer, a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society and of the Association for Project Management.
Ian is a project manager and tutor in the Technology Management Group at UCL. Prior to joining MSSL he had 22 years of industrial experience working on all aspects of the systems design lifecycle from user requirements through to integration, acceptance and deployment. Part of Ian’s career was in the defence sector, within Vickers Shipbuilding and BAE SYSTEMS. Following this he worked in the space sector covering mission and system level activities at EADS Astrium. Ian is a chartered engineer and a member of the International Council on Systems Engineering. He holds an Master's degree Sc in Systems Engineering from UCL.
Dr Raúl Leal Ascencio
Raúl holds a Master's degree in Science and a Doctorate in Engineering and is currently the Commercial Manager for the Centre for Systems Engineering at UCL. He has over 40 publications on engineering modelling and electronics. Previously he managed the research programme of a university engineering department for six years and he was has a consultant in technology management and development for over ten years. He is involved in project management, systems thinking and systems engineering, teaching at postgraduate level and providing training and consultancy for industry in the defence, aviation and space industries.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 23 Oct 2019, 12:03