Book a place
This one-day workshop for the dental team will provide an in-depth look at nutritional biochemistry from a cellular level. It'll also cover the role of the gut microbiome relevant to systemic inflammation and periodontal disease.
This course aims to:
- provide a review and update on current thinking surrounding oral systemic associations
- take a further in-depth look at oxidative stress and antioxidant enzyme activity with relevance to chronic inflammation and oral health
- examine the effect of calcium metabolism and acid base homeostasis on bone density and oral health
- discuss the effect of refined carbohydrate intake on the gut microbiome and the aetiology of chronic inflammation
- present an overview of probiotics mechanisms and the effect on the inflammatory cascade
- review the significance of the gut and oral microbiome and the potential role of nutrition and probiotics in modulating local and systemic inflammatory immune responses
- consider the indications and contraindications of vitamin and mineral supplementation
Before attending this course, it would be beneficial for you to have completed part 1, however this is not essential as an overview will be provided.
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD (continuing professional development).
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London.
This course will cover:
- current understandings of oral-systemic associations
- shared risk factors (stress, smoking, obesity) and associated pro-inflammatory mechanisms
- oxidative stress and intracellular antioxidant enzyme activity
- calcium metabolism, bone density and inflammatory mechanisms associated with bone loss
- the physiology of the gut and the effect of gut health on oral and systemic inflammation
- the role of nutrition and probiotics on the human microbiome and susceptibility to disease
- observation techniques, signs and symptoms to help determine nutritional deficiencies
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a qualified dental therapist or hygienist, or a dental nurse with at least five years' experience.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- identify nutrition and lifestyle factors implicated in modulating local and systemic inflammatory immune responses with relevance to periodontal diseases
- discuss the associations between chronic inflammation, systemic disease, gut health and oral health
- understand how to effectively implement a supportive nutritional approach to periodontal disease through clinical observations of oral manifestation of nutritional deficiency
- discern the indications and contra indications of supplementation
Structure and teaching
The day will run from approximately 9:30am to 5pm and will include:
- a nutrition and biochemistry revision session relevant to chronic inflammation and periodontal disease
- a nutrition and oral health session with a review of the latest research and evidence
- a practical session in the form of case-history demonstrations
- a self-assessment quiz, review and discussion time
CPD points and certificate
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD, plus a certificate of attendance.
The fees are £130.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Juliette is an award winning dental hygienist and trained nutritionist with over thirty years experience. She writes regularly for the international dental press and is an editorial advisor to a variety of dental journals. She is an international speaker, media spokesperson for a number of multi-national corporations and regularly presents post graduate seminars in the UK and abroad.
Juliette has written and lectured internationally over the last twenty years on the systemic associations between nutrition and oral health. She is Clinical Director of Perio- Nutrition and regularly presents post graduate seminars around the country.
She is a member of the BSDHT Education Committee and received a lifetime achievement award in 2014 and more recently was honoured to receive the prestigious Dr Gerald Leatherman Award.
"Fabulous course! Best course I have attended for years! Want to extend knowledge / learn more about Nutrition - would love to use this for patients." [Course participant, Part 1, April 2016]
Book a place
Course information last modified: 29 Oct 2021, 10:42