Book a place
This one-day workshop aims to introduce clinical nutrition for dental teams.
The study day will provide an overview of clinical nutrition.
It will enable you to introduce nutritional management of periodontal disease into your everyday practice.
The course will cover:
- basic nutrition principles
- nutritional biochemistry relevant to chronic inflammation and the periodontal tissues
The practical application of clinical nutrition will be presented and you'll also have the opportunity to study a case history.
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD (continuing professional development).
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London.
This workshop will cover the following:
- Dietary habits that affect chronic inflammation
- Carbohydrate and protein intake relative to oral health and chronic inflammation
- Essential fatty acids and inflammatory bone loss
- The resolution of chronic inflammation
- Marginal deficiency and physical observation techniques
The practical application of clinical nutrition will be highlighted with particular relevance to oral health.
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a qualified dental therapist or hygienist, or a dental nurse with at least five years' experience.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- understand the principals of a healthy diet
- identify dietary practices that exacerbate chronic inflammation
- provide clear evidence-based dietary advice with respect to chronic inflammation and the periodontal tissues
Structure and teaching
The day will run from approximately 9:30am to 5pm and is divided into four parts:
- A nutrition and biochemistry revision session relevant to chronic inflammation and periodontal disease
- A nutrition and oral health session with a review of the latest research and evidence
- A practical session in the form of case-history demonstrations
- Self-assessment quiz, review and discussion time
CPD points and certificate
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD, plus a certificate of attendance.
The fees are £130.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Juliette is an award winning dental hygienist and trained nutritionist with over 30 years' experience. She writes regularly for the international dental press and is an editorial advisor to a variety of dental journals. She's an international speaker, media spokesperson for a number of multi-national corporations and regularly presents post graduate seminars in the UK and abroad.
Juliette has written and lectured internationally over the last 20 years on the systemic associations between nutrition and oral health. She's Clinical Director of Perio-Nutrition and regularly presents post graduate seminars around the country.
She's a member of the BSDHT Education Committee and received a lifetime achievement award in 2014 and more recently was honoured to receive the prestigious Dr Gerald Leatherman Award
"Fabulous course! Best course I have attended for years! Want to extend knowledge / learn more about Nutrition - would love to use this for patients." [Course participant, April 2016]
Book a place
Course information last modified: 29 Oct 2021, 10:41