Book a place
This one-day CPD course is designed for clinical dental professionals who want to develop the knowledge and skills needed to successfully care for and maintain dental implants.
Implants are increasingly becoming an everyday part of a hygienist and therapist's work. Whether you work in a practice that places implants or 'inherit' them from elsewhere, this course will:
- equip you with the skills needed to confidently care for implants and the surrounding tissues
- help you to put in place the protocols needed for peri-implant assessment and maintenance
It will also seek to clarify some of the current thinking and theories relating to the care and maintenance of implants, and attempt to answer the eternal question 'Do I probe it?'
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD (continuing professional development).
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London.
This short course will cover the following:
- Volution and concepts of dental implantology
- Structural components of dental implant systems and the differences in maintenance approach required
- The process of osseo-integration, and the differences in periodontal and peri-implant tissue structure
- Baseline information to be recorded on placement
- Radiographic assessment intervals
- The aetiology of peri-implant mucositis and peri-implantitis and the different treatment protocols needed for each
- Risk factors and complications of implant placement and maintenance in the longer term
- Instrument selection, probing and debridement techniques
- Needs for controlled polishing of implant collar and restorations
- Oral health aids and adjuncts for patients home care programme, and giving effective preventive care advice
- Use of professional-care materials and adjuncts for in-surgery use
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a qualified dental therapist or hygienist.
By the end of the course, you should have an understanding of all the areas covered under 'Course content'.
Structure and teaching
The day will run from approximately 9:30am to 5pm.
It will consist of a lecture followed by a hands-on practical instrumentation practical.
CPD points and certificate
You'll gain 6.5 hours of verifiable CPD, plus a certificate of attendance.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Dr Shiehfung Tay
Dr Tay completed her MFDS qualification from the Royal College of Surgeons (England), entering the three-year full time specialist training focusing on periodontology and implant dentistry at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute. She was also awarded a distinction for her Masters in Clinical Dentistry and a Certificate in Periodontology by the European Federation of Periodontology.
Dr Tay is currently a General Dental Council-registered specialist in periodontics and works mainly in private practice. She's also a teacher at the UCL Eastman Dental Institute for CPD and a part-time clinical research associate, contributing to the fields of academia and science.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 7 Aug 2019, 14:55