Book a place
This online, self-paced course for qualified physiotherapists provides an introduction to paediatric physiotherapy.
You'll learn fundamental skills for working with children and young people as a physiotherapist.
You can choose to sign up for one, two or three of the following modules:
- Paediatric neurophysiotherapy
- Paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy
- Paediatric cardiorespiratory physiotherapy
Each module covers relevant anatomy and physiology, how to recognise and treat common childhood conditions and relevant outcome measures.
This course is run by UCL Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health (GOSICH). It's been developed by a team with extensive experience in paediatric physiotherapy and postgraduate education who teach on the MSc Advanced Paediatric Physiotherapy at GOSICH.
Who this course is for
This course is for qualified physiotherapists who want to expand their knowledge in the field of paediatrics.
You might be looking to improve your chances of getting a job in paediatric physiotherapy or preparing to study it at a postgraduate level.
This is self-paced course. You can sign up at any time and you'll work through the material in your own time.
After completing the foundation module, you'll study the module(s) on specific topics.
Each of the modules are comprised of four learning units. You should expect to spend about 2 to 3 hours on each unit.
You'll have access to the course for 16 weeks.
- Principles of evidence based medicine and family centred care
- Consent when working with young people
- Clinical reasoning, critical thinking and critical appraisal
- Communicating with children and young people
- Children's rights and safeguarding children
Fundamentals of paediatric neurophysiotherapy
- Neuroanatomy and physiology
- Typical development
- Common neurological conditions in children
- Treatment approaches outcome measures
Fundamentals of paediatric musculoskeletal physiotherapy
- Muscle and bone growth
- Congenital and infant conditions
- Childhood and adolescent conditions
- Exercise and physical activity
Fundamentals of paediatric cardiorespiratory physiotherapy
- Paediatric respiratory anatomy and physiology
- Respiratory assessment in paediatrics
- Common respiratory conditions in paediatrics
- Respiratory treatment in children
Teaching and assessment
You'll learn though interactive presentations, videos and open access articles. There'll also be one live case-based webinar.
Some units include links to external resources. You may need to register to view these but there won't be any additional costs.
You'll be assessed at the end of each module by a quiz, which you'll need to pass to receive the course certificate. You'll have a number of opportunities to complete the quiz.
By the end of the course you'll:
- understand the biopsychosocial and medico-legal framework for working with paediatric patients
- understand typical and atypical child development, including selected neurological, musculoskeletal and cardiorespiratory anatomy and physiology
- have knowledge of the aetiology and pathophysiology of selected common paediatric disorders and diseases
- have knowledge of selected outcome measures which can used to assess and monitor change in children
- be able to plan a clinically reasoned assessment and management strategy for a child within an evidence based context
This course fees are:
- £450 - for the full course (foundation module and three optional modules)
- £155 - for the foundation module and one optional module
You can sign up for the whole course, or just one or two of the three modules. If you want to sign up for two modules, you'll need to select one, then return to this page to select the second module.
Dr Jane Simmonds MCSP MMACP SFHEA (course director)
Annette Coomer BSc (hons) MSc MCSP
Naomi Winfield BSc (hons) MSc MCSP FHEA
Book a place
Course information last modified: 26 Mar 2021, 11:44