Book a place
This one-day hands-on workshop aims to equip healthcare and public health staff to undertake a pragmatic evaluation of a local service.
It covers evaluation design, collecting and analysing qualitative and quantitative evaluation data.
You'll also look at approaches to disseminating evaluation findings.
No previous knowledge of evaluation, or experience of study design and statistics, is required.
(An online version of this course is also available.)
This course is organised by NIHR ARC North Thames. ARCs are partnerships between universities, health and other organisations which have come together to conduct ground-breaking research that will have a direct impact on the health of patients and the public.
The workshop covers the following topics:
- Different types of evaluation, including their pros and cons
- How to select suitable methods and approaches for evaluating a local programme or service
- Practical skills and tips in using evaluation methods and approaches
- Ways of sharing your evaluation findings to make an impact
Who this course is for
The workshop is aimed at those who work in:
- NHS trusts
- clinical commissioning groups (CCGs)
- local authorities
It's suitable for those with limited experience of conducting service evaluations.
It's not aimed at academics or researchers.
You should have an evaluation that you may need to carry out in mind when you attend this course.
Teaching and structure
The workshop will be held from 9am to 5pm.
There'll be a mixture of lecture-style teaching and small group exercises to make sure the course is as practical and relevant as possible.
Learning outcomes will be met by using examples of real evaluations from CCGs, NHS and local authority settings.
You'll also develop a plan for an evaluation you need to conduct.
You'll receive a certificate of attendance.
By the end of the course you'll be able to:
- explain the different types of evaluation that are appropriate for different projects
- identify evaluation methods and approaches that are suitable for the evaluation of a local programme
- undertake an evaluation of a local programme
Cost and concessions
The course is:
- free for staff working in NIHR ARC North Thames partner organisations
- £250 for others
"Very high quality course, I felt like I was hearing from experts with relevant experience. It was good to break up presentations with exercises, helped me maintain focus." (Former participant)
Book a place
Course information last modified: 20 Apr 2022, 09:34