Book a place
This programme will help you develop your confidence and leadership skills. It'll enable you to improve your ability to lead, manage change and develop people within your team.
You'll explore your current leadership skills, set goals for building on these, and learn new leadership skills.
The programme is for current middle leaders in education with some experience of the role.
Topics covered include:
- different leadership styles
- change management
- dealing with challenging behaviour
- self and team motivation
You'll have the opportunity to reflect on your team performance and seek ways to improve it. You'll also have excellent networking opportunities.
Supported by the latest research, this programme is designed to increase your professional knowledge and understanding. This will have a positive impact on your leadership behaviour and will benefit your school and leadership team.
You'll need to attend three full days and a final twilight session at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
This programme is level two in a suite of programmes designed for school leaders. You'll be taught by curriculum experts from the London Centre for Leadership in Learning (LCLL) at UCL Institute of Education (IOE).
Who this course is for
You should be a current middle leader in a school with the responsibility of leading a team, for example:
- a key stage leader
- a curriculum area leader
- a pastoral services leader
- a subject leader
- a head of department
The programme is delivered over two terms and content includes:
Day one: Where are you now?
- Moral purpose, values and leadership
- Differences between leadership and management
- Implications of leadership styles
- How motivation affects leadership
- Coaching approaches
- Professional learning conversations
Day two: Where would you like to be?
- Emotional intelligence and leadership
- Motivations of self and others
- Leading change
- Reactions to change and managing difficult conversations
Day three: How will you get there?
- What makes and effective team?
- Leading a high performing team
- Stages of team development
- Role of trust in leadership
- Reflecting on the performance of your team
- Present your leadership 'focus for change' project
- Learning conversation
- Future pathways
You'll attend face-to-face sessions and carry out inter-sessional tasks between the leadership days, which span two terms.
Throughout the programme you'll carry out a 'focus for change' project and present this in a learning conversation at the end of the programme.
You'll receive a certificate of completion at the end of the programme.
By the end of the course, you'll have:
- deepened your understanding of your role in leading learning
- increased your ability to lead, manage, motivate and develop people in your team
- developed your confidence in having difficult conversations
- planned for your own personal leadership development
The six-month programme runs twice a year, starting in the autumn and spring terms.
Other programme delivery options
Schools, collaboratives and local authorities
The programme can be run on-site for schools, groups of schools, local authorities and multi-academy trusts. Contact the course administrator for costs and more information.
For international schools and groups of schools the programme can be run at your overseas venue - contact the course administrator for costs and more information.
"Excellent facilitators. Challenging and stimulating material - gave me lots of ideas to go away with."
"The overall programme was well researched and delivered by brilliant facilitators who were inspiring. Very informative."
"Excellent ideas and new knowledge shared and practiced. Really engaging and interesting session. Thank you."
"This course has changed my whole approach to work and leadership. The resources and the way it was delivered was excellent."
"Superb delivery from the trainers, really inspiring! Loved the real life examples, liked the practical activities to rehearse new knowledge."
Book a place
Course information last modified: 11 Feb 2020, 15:25