Book a place
Cell and gene therapy is an emerging field that aims to utilise the power of cell-based medicines, including regenerative medicine, to deliver new treatments.
This three-day course addresses the challenges of translating scientific discoveries into medicinal products in a way that is commercially viable.
It's aimed at engineers, life scientists and clinicians working in regenerative medicine and cell and gene therapy.
This course is part of the Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries programme (MBI®), run by the Department of Biochemical Engineering at UCL.
Course content and structure
The course involves lectures by leading academic and industry experts and interactive case studies.
Topics covered include:
- Challenges for scaling up lentivirus
- Taking cell and gene products from lab to clinic in the real world
- Process considerations for universal versus personalised therapies
- Analytics and monitoring where the cell is the product
- A role for automation
- Navigating the critical path to clinic
- Addressing process economics and CoGs
Case studies will include:
- Manufacturing scale up
- Process and product analytic tools
Who the course is for
This course is for engineers, life scientists and clinicians working in the fields of regenerative medicine and cell and gene therapy.
It also provides a strong fundamental base for life scientists and engineers from biopharma who wish to re-purpose skills for the cell and gene therapy sector.
After completing this course you should be able to:
- understand the distinctions of manufacturing cells compared with biologics
- understand the challenges faced in advancing cell and gene therapies to clinic and the lessons learned from established companies
- understand the impact of design and engineering considerations on cell and gene therapy manufacture
- identify and define critical process parameters for different cell and gene therapy applications
- apply analytical toolsets for quality measurement
- understand key implications to facilitate and expedite translation from laboratory to a manufacturing and clinical setting
Costs and group bookings
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about costs and group bookings.
Course fees include materials, lunches and refreshments. Accommodation isn't included, but details of special rates at nearby hotels will be sent with your registration pack.
Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries (MBI®)
The award-winning MBI® programme is a series of UCL-accredited short courses for people working in the bioprocessing industry. It's designed and delivered in collaboration with over 70 industrial experts.
The programme provides flexible professional development training. You can choose to take standalone courses or combine them for a Certificate, Diploma or Master's qualification. It complements in-house training by providing broader perspectives for more informed decision-making.
Courses have so far been delivered to over 900 individuals from more than 300 companies, 30% of which are non-UK, demonstrating its strong international impact.
MBI® plays a central role in the department's knowledge-transfer activities. This ensures that cutting-edge research is undertaken to capture the value of integrating engineering with complex and fast-moving biology, which helps keep the global industry ahead in manufacturing.
Benefits of MBI®
By attending an MBI® course, you'll:
- benefit from knowledge transfer and upskilling in core bioprocessing fundamentals and trends in industry
- gain a deeper understanding of process options and engineering constraints
- acquire the tools to optimise process performance and economics
- learn about the latest technical and regulatory developments
- have access to cutting edge research methodologies
- network with sector leaders and subject matter experts
- increase your flexibility, motivation, creativity and professional status
There is more information about the MBI® on the Department of Biochemical Engineering's website. If you have questions about fees or how to combine courses for a specific qualification, please email email@example.com
Book a place
Course information last modified: 7 Aug 2019, 14:53