Book a place
This four-day course provides an introduction to process design for manufacturing biological products.
You'll learn how to specify a complex bioprocess and determine its economic feasibility.
An example case study will be used to demonstrate each stage of the process design and costing.
It's a beginner's level course aimed at engineers, chemists, biologists, biochemists and biotechnologists.
This course is part of the Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries programme (MBI®), run by the Department of Biochemical Engineering at UCL.
Course content and structure
Teaching is in small classes, with an emphasis on interactive problem solving and case studies.
Each day will cover the following topics:
- Anthrax vaccines through the ages
- Influenza: current and future generation vaccines
- Case study: development of preliminary flowsheets
- Defining the end product specification
- Rapid mass balance and scale-up estimates
- Case study: process mass balance
- Introduction to cost estimation
- Case study: industrial cost estimation including analysis of hidden costs
- User requirements specifications in bioprocessing
- Case study: user requirement specification
- Design of process operation and control
- Case study: piping and instruments diagram
- Case study: process operation
- Case study: sensitivity analysis, process costings and process changes
- Design project presentations to a panel of senior industrialists
Who the course is for
This course is for:
Typically those who attend are R&D scientists, engineers or managers who need to learn more about the preliminary design process.
After completing this course, you may want to attend the Bioprocess Facility Design course, which examines the next stage of a bioprocess design.
After completing this course you should be able to:
- specify a major item of process equipment
- interpret engineering drawings used in equipment procurement
- perform economic analyses of the process and determine sensitivities to process changes
- achieve value for money in complex engineering projects
- recommend a process that is technically feasible and economically viable
- determine the types of data needed to specify unit operations and processes
- develop process flowsheets and mass balances
Costs and group bookings
The standard price for this course is £1,750.
Special prices are available for groups and SMEs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Course fees include materials, lunches and refreshments. Accommodation isn't included, but details of special rates at nearby hotels will be sent with your registration pack.
Modular Training for the Bioprocess Industries (MBI®)
The award-winning MBI® programme is a series of UCL-accredited short courses for people working in the bioprocessing industry. It's designed and delivered in collaboration with over 70 industrial experts.
The programme provides flexible professional development training. You can choose to take standalone courses or combine them for a Certificate, Diploma or Master's qualification. It complements in-house training by providing broader perspectives for more informed decision-making.
Courses have so far been delivered to over 900 individuals from more than 300 companies, 30% of which are non-UK, demonstrating its strong international impact.
MBI® plays a central role in the department's knowledge-transfer activities. This ensures that cutting-edge research is undertaken to capture the value of integrating engineering with complex and fast-moving biology, which helps keep the global industry ahead in manufacturing.
Benefits of MBI®
By attending an MBI® course, you'll:
- benefit from knowledge transfer and upskilling in core bioprocessing fundamentals and trends in industry
- gain a deeper understanding of process options and engineering constraints
- acquire the tools to optimise process performance and economics
- learn about the latest technical and regulatory developments
- have access to cutting edge research methodologies
- network with sector leaders and subject matter experts
- increase your flexibility, motivation, creativity and professional status
There is more information about the MBI® on the Department of Biochemical Engineering's website. If you have questions about fees or how to combine courses for a specific qualification, please email email@example.com
Dr Daniel Bracewell - Module Leader
Daniel is Professor of Bioprocess Analysis in the Department of Biochemical Engineering at UCL.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 8 Dec 2021, 13:47