Book a place
This three-day practical CPD course is specifically designed to help you develop the skills you need to provide high standards of care for patients needing endodontic treatment.
The course covers a broad range of endodontic topics. It's delivered through direct coaching, using a series of hands-on exercises supported by lectures and case discussions.
The main emphasis is on helping you develop and apply the technical skills required to achieve predictable endodontic outcomes.
You'll be provided with a complete endodontic summary including:
- vital pulp therapy
- pulp extirpation and root canal treatment
- root canal retreatment
- bleaching of endodontically treated teeth
- post-endodontic restoration
- assessing treatment outcomes
This course aims to:
- present the essential science and evidence base behind endodontic treatment
- discuss how best to apply this knowledge in an everyday clinical setting
- demonstrate and coach practical skills to make endodontic treatment more efficient and predictable
This course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
This three-day course includes the following areas:
- Pathogenesis and diagnosis of pulpal and periradicular disease
- Endodontic examination and assessment, including special tests, radiography and CBCT
- Root canal anatomy and implications for root canal treatment
- Access cavity and coronal preparation
- Rubber dam isolation
- Pain management and local anaesthetic techniques
- Root canal preparation: mechanical instrumentation and irrigation
- Preparation by hand with rotary instruments
- Determining working length and apical gauging
- Cold lateral compaction with customised dip technique, warm vertical compaction, MTA
- Assessing outcome of treatment
- Root canal retreatment
- GP (gutta percha): removal
- Problem-solving - ledges, perforation repair, blockages, calcified canals, open apex cases, post removal, management of separated instruments
- Restoration of endodontically treated teeth
- Management of discolouration of the root-filled tooth
Who this course is for
You must hold an approved dental qualification to attend this course.
By the end of the course you should understand:
- aetiology, pathology and classification of pulpal and periapical disease and its clinical relevance
- diagnostic aids, special tests and radiography (including CBCT - cone beam computed tomography) to aid diagnosis
- dental anatomy and its implications for root canal treatment
- rubber dam isolation and preparation for root canal treatment
- pain management and local anaesthetic techniques
- efficient canal location and negotiation to the apical terminus - achieving a reproducible glide path while respecting the canal anatomy
- principles and pitfalls of canal enlargement and shaping
- properties of irrigants and their role in disinfecting the root canal system
- principles of irrigation dynamics and their limitations
- different irrigation activation systems
- methods of diagnostic length determination
- apical gauging: when and how to determine master apical file size
- master gutta-percha cone customisation in conjunction with cold lateral compaction
- warm vertical compaction techniques (including MTA - mineral trioxide aggregate)
- assessment of outcome after treatment
- how to remove previous root filling material and overcome common problems
- principles behind the restoration of endodontically treated teeth
- management of discolouration
CPD points and certificate
The course will give you 19.5 hours of verifiable CPD. You'll also get a certificate of attendance.
Structure and teaching
This three-day course runs from 9:30am to 5pm each day. The course will be delivered through a combination of evidence-based discussions (seminars) and hands-on practical work in the skills laboratory.
The fees are £1,250.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Dr Kunal Patel
Kunal graduated with Honours from Bart’s and The London; achieving a Distinction grade in all five years of study along with numerous awards and was a runner-up to the University of London Gold Medal. He has worked as the restorative Senior House Officer at the Eastman Dental Hospital and completed his Master’s degree in Endodontology; graduating with distinction. Having now confirmed his passion for root canal treatment, he shares his time as a Specialty Doctor at the Eastman Dental Hospital, teaching other dentists at UCL and in Private Endodontic Practice around London.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 23 Oct 2019, 12:04