In any given year, SELCS/CMII academic staff and research associates supervise more than 100 postgraduate research (PhD) students.
Themes we examine include:
- colonialism and postcolonialism
- cultural history
- digital humanities
- visual art
- queer theory and gay studies
- women's writing
- feminist theory
- language and language learning
- translation studies
- history of analytical psychology and psychoanalysis
- intellectual history
- literary criticism
- manuscript studies and book history
- memory, national identity, politics and political philosophy
- travel writing
Range of Languages and Geographical Regions
Our Research covers Dutch (including Flemish), French, Dutch-speaking, Francophone and Hispanophone Caribbean, German (including Austrian), Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Old Norse and Icelandic.
The teaching and research interests of our staff embrace Western Europe and regions in which languages originating from Western Europe are spoken, for example Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Maghreb.