- Prospective Students
- Interdepartmental Modules
- Departments & Centres
- Postdoctoral Research
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- UCL Modern Languages League Table Information
Funding & Scholarships
Central UCL Information
The information below applies to SELCS students of all departments (Dutch, French, German, Italian, Scandinavian Studies
and Spanish & Latin American Studies).
FUNDING FOR RESEARCH IN MODERN LANGUAGES
SELCS is part of the AHRC consortium London Arts and Humanities Partnership (LAHP), along with King’ College, London and the School of Advanced Study. We are very pleased to announce that we will be offering up to four fully-funded (3.5 year) LAHP (AHRC) scholarships in the current competition. These three-year fees and maintenance awards will provide, additionally, up to six months extended funding (fees and stipend) and study abroad expenses up to £3,000.
LAHP support for Modern Languages is also to be strengthened in the current round by the following awards:
- LAHP Internship/Placement Scheme (award extension up to 6 months, plus placement costs). Students should apply via the LAHP Research Extension and Placement Fund. This scheme offers students the opportunity to take a 3 to 6 month internship or placement with a relevant organisation either within the UK or abroad. The Internship/Placement must be related to the student’s research and project. The scheme will fund an award extension of up to six months and provide expenses up to £3,000.
- LAHP Advanced Language Tuition Funding Scheme (award extension up to 6 months plus related language training costs). Students should apply via the LAHP Research Extension and Placement Fund. This scheme will provide an award of up to 6 months to support language enhancement or acquisition essential to a PhD candidate’s project. The funding scheme will also cover additional language tuition costs (course(s), intensive programmes, etc) up to £2,000.
- LAHP Language Fund. This fund provides LAHP-AHRC funded research students with opportunities to undertake language training, both essential research-related language acquisition and for employability enhancement. This includes both modern languages and ancient languages.
More information of all of the above awards, including how to apply can
be found on the LAHP website.
NOTE: Applications for joint-supervision between two of the partners of LAHP, whilst not necessary, are particularly encouraged.