Dr Stephen Bennetts
Honorary Research Associate
Member, UCL Australian ‘Ndrangheta Research Group: ucl.ac.uk/australian-ndrangheta
Main research interests:
· The Australian ‘Ndrangheta (Calabrian Mafia in Australia), anthropology of Southern Italy, contemporary revitalisation of Southern Italian popular folk tradition, anthropology of Carnival, traditional Aboriginal culture and its transformations in contemporary Australia, native title anthropology, applied anthropology, Aboriginal heritage protection regimes
Articles on the Southern Italian Mafias, Australian ‘Ndrangheta, Southern Italian folk revival and Australian Aboriginal heritage protection regimes.
- ‘“Tradition & Contamination”: an Ethnography of the Southern Italian Folk Revival’ (forthcoming) Berghahn, Oxford.
- ‘“Undesirable Italians”: Prolegomena for a History of the Calabrian ‘Ndrangheta in Australia’ (accepted for publication in Modern Italy journal of Italian Studies).
- ‘An Analytical Toolkit for Exploring “Mafia Transplantation” to Australia’. ECPR Standing Group on Organised Crime Newsletter (May) 12 (2) 7-8.
- ‘Australia’s Political Donations System Makes Politics Vulnerable to the Mafia’ Sydney Morning Herald, 31 July (with Dr Anna Sergi). http://www.smh.com.au/national/australias-political-donations-system-makes-politics-vulnerable-to-the-mafia-20150728-gilyuu.html
- ‘“Berlusconi hasn’t arrived here yet”: the contemporary Italian Folk Revival as a response to Modernity’ in Pass, G & Woods, D (eds) (2004) Alchemies Community Exchanges, Black Swan Press, Perth pp 193-211 (refereed collection). Republished in Italian as ‘“Berlusconi non è ancora arrivato qua”: il Folk revival contemporaneo suditaliano come risposta alla modernità’: www.intrecciata.it/_getFile.php?idFile=7
- ‘Western Australia’s New-look Aboriginal Heritage Policy and the Assessment of Sacred Sites’, The Monthly (online daily) 17 February 2015: http://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/stephen-bennetts/2015/17/2015/1424128413/wa-s-new-look-aboriginal-heritage-policy-