The annual Flexible Support Awards aims to provide strategic support for early- and mid-career researchers across two schemes. Find out more about the awards, eligibility, and how to apply.
Establishing new research groups or research programmes
Division/Institute Directors in SLMS and Heads of Departments in BEAMS/IoE/SLASH are invited to apply for strategic support for the establishment of new research groups, programmes, and/or laboratories. This may include the purchase of essential equipment, recruitment of key research staff, maintaining animal lines, providing access to core facilities.
Only initiatives that are able to demonstrate a clear strategic need and alignment to faculty plans will be supported, and Divisions/Institutes/Departments are expected to make a 50% contribution to the award.
- Applications will be accepted from Division/Institute Director in SLMS and Heads of Departments in BEAMS/IoE/SLASH only, on behalf of the PI(s)/Group.
- Funding is available for early career academic researchers only. PhD and Postdoctoral Researchers are not eligible for funding.
- For requests to support recruitment packages, the UCL job offer must have been accepted at the time of application.
- Funding is available to researchers across all Faculties provided that the proposed area of research is within the remit of the Wellcome Trust and aligned to UCL faculty strategies.
Awards are expected to be in the range of £25k-£100k and match-funding is a requirement. These projects should be up to 12 months in duration. The project costs should be appropriate for the proposed plan of work.
- Eligible Costs
ISSF awards will support direct costs including but not limited to staff costs (excluding PI salary), consumables, equipment, access fees, animal costs.
The UCL Wellcome ISSF will provide support for early- and mid-career researchers, who currently hold a Fellowship award at UCL, and require additional research support beyond the end of their fellowship funding. These awards will enable early- and mid-career researchers to apply for additional research grants, and to continue to supervise students throughout the tenure of their fellowships. We would expect applicants to have already applied for a follow-on Fellowship/research grant at the time of submission.
- Early- or mid-career researchers, including postdoctoral researchers who are recipients of independent research fellowships.
- Funding is available to such Fellows across all Faculties provided that the proposed area of research is within Wellcome Trust's remit and aligned to UCL faculty strategies.
Awards are expected to be in the range of £25k-£50k and have a duration of 6 months. The project costs should be appropriate for the proposed plan of work and justified within the application. Matched funding is a requirement; please see below for details.
- Eligible Costs
Fellow salary, research staff, and/or research costs.