ACCELERATE Success is a portfolio of events to support skills development for networking and communicating translational research ideas.
Check out ACCELERATE Success events and workshops below;
- Building Your Professional Network
Translational research is all about collaboration- you can't do it alone. In this interactive workshop, you will learn how to start engaging in translational research by building your professional network and how to gain mentoring and support from senior colleagues and peers through effective networking.
This workshop is aimed at researchers at UCL who would like to know more about how to make their research more translational and how to grow their network in this area.
• How to effectively get your message across
• How to introduce yourself confidently
• How to network proactively
• How to apply networking skills to find mentoring support
Next Event: Thursday 4th March 2020, 10am-11am GMT. Online event (links will be sent out beforehand). Sign up here; https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/accelerate-success-building-your-professional-network-tickets-136797632401
- What's the Big Idea- Pitching Skills Training
Learn how to find the story of your translational research idea and how to confidently share it with those who might be able to help fund it- when it comes to effective communication, practice makes perfect. This half day workshop will combine theory and practical sessions on developing the perfect 2-minute pitch, confidently asking questions, as well as provide an opportunity to recieve feedback.
Participants will be able to:
- Define and apply the elements of an impactful pitch.
- Explain and implement techniques for concisely answering questions under pressure.
Next Event- Wednesday 24th February 2020, 10am-12pm GMT. Online event (links will be sent out beforehand). Sign up here; https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/accelerate-success-whats-the-big-idea-pitching-skills-training-tickets-136812551023
- Working Productively from Home
Are you finding it challenging, or not possible, to continue your research from home during the COVID-19 pandemic? Are you finding it difficult to manage competing new requirements and additional requests?
Being productive and maintaining a collaborative team envrioment can be challenging when your organisation and external partners are working remotely. This online workshop will give you tools and techniques to make you more effective in your work and to redirect efforts where needed during this challenging time in order to maximise effectiveness. These techniques can be used immediately in your working enviroment.
The workshop will help you to:
- revisit your goals and priorities during this time;
- manage your time while working remotely; and
- build and sustain good relationships when working virtually with any team
By the end of the online workshop, you'll be better able to:
- effectively organise your time and priorities;
- build rapport and committment with people you work with;
- and maintain a good relationship with the members in your virtual team.
Next Event- TBA
- Tailored Pitch Coaching (by invitation only)
ACCELERATE provides pitch coaching to shortlisted applicants of the Pilot Data Funding Scheme for Translational Research. As part of the scheme, shortlisted applicants pitch their translational research to a Dragons' Den style panel comprising UCL and external experts and the coaching is provided to help them prepare for this event.
The funding scheme is coordinated through UCL's Therapeutic Innovation Networks (from the Translational Research Office). The scheme is aimed at accelerating the transition from discovery research to translational research and targets early career researchers.
If you are interested in the Pilot Data Funding Scheme, please contact:
- Grant Writing for Translational Research
In contrast to academic/fellowship grant applications, applying for translational research and innovation grants is all about pitching the end vision and convincing funders that you know what it takes to get there: What is the unmet clinical need? How will you meet this need? What are the project milestones and how much will it cost? For many, the first step to pitching this vision is a written application.
What to expect: In this interactive workshop, you will learn how to increase your chances of funding success for impact acceleration, knowledge exchange and translational research projects as well as where to find support at UCL.
Participants will be able to:
- Recognise the important elements of a translational research/innovation grant application
- Recognise how to identify the risks of the projects and outline how they will be managed
- Explain how to strategically apply for funding based on the maturity of one's project and how to link this with one's project milestones.
- Describe how to protect intellectual property when submitting a funding application.
- Recognise how to simplify one's message and edit one's your ideas for a specific funding call.
- Recognise how to improve the likelihood of success by ensuring one's application is understood and makes a good impression.
- Identify where to find support at UCL.
Who should attend?
This workshop is aimed at researchers at UCL who would like to know more about how to put together a winning grant application for a translational research project.
Next Event- TBA
To complement the ACCELERATE programme, we have pulled together a list of resources offered by experts at UCL and beyond that focuses on skills development. Check out the links below.
- At UCL
- Beyond UCL
- Vitae Researcher Development Framework
- Innovation Scholars secondments - UK Research and Innovation Scheme
- Nature Masterclasses
- University of Oxford Transaltional Research Office- tips for Translational Research Grant Writing
*Disclaimer - These resources have not been produced by UCL and although they have been shared as containing information that may be useful to the Translational Research community, they do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of UCL, ACCELERATE or the Academic Careers Office