Two Inoue Masaru Scholarships are available for 2021/22 under the UCL 1863 Japan Scholarships Scheme to enable UCL students to travel to and study at a Japanese University.
Available to: Current students
Selection criteria: Academic merit
Eligible fee status: Home (UK domicile only)
Eligible programmes: All UCL degree programmes
Deadline: 5pm BST, Thursday 13th May 2021
To apply for the Inoue Masaru Scholarships (UCL 1863 Japan Scholarships) must be a registered UCL student reading for a first or higher degree. You must have Home fee status (UK domicile only).
You can use the scholarships for
- the collection of material for a thesis
- attendance at a course of study recognised for credit purposes
- a cultural and educational experience (please note an interruption of your course may need to be approved dependent on the length/time of the experience).
Value, benefits, and duration
- There are two scholarships available in 2021/22.
- The value of the scholarship is £3000.
- The scholarship is tenable for one session or part of a session.
- You can hold the Inoue Masaru Scholarship alongside other scholarships, studentships, awards, or bursaries. The amount of the UCL award may be adjusted depending on the total value of other funds received by the student.
- Payment will be made at the start of the next academic year (October).
The qualifications of candidates will be considered by an academic selection panel.
You will need to clearly demonstrate that obtaining this opportunity to study in Japan will lead to improved Anglo-Japanese understanding.
How to apply
You must provide a statement to the Student Funding Office, outlining your objectives in visiting Japan and how this relates to your area of study or your cultural purpose. You must also provide a statement of support from your tutor or Head of Department.
To do this, log into askUCL, select Log an Enquiry and choose Scholarship from the categories. Attach all of the relevant documents to the enquiry and put your student number and Inoue Masaru Application in the subject line.
Deadline to apply is 5pm BST, Thursday 13th May 2021