Laser Safety Awareness training
This eLearning course is aimed at UCL staff who work with, or who may be affected by work involving, high-powered laser systems. It is mandatory for users of Class 3R, 3B and 4 lasers.
The eLearning course will give you a basic understanding of the hazards and potential risks associated with laser systems. It is mandatory for users of Class 3R, 3B and 4 lasers.
This eLearning will cover:
- The nature of laser radiation and how it can cause harm
- Beam and non-beam hazards associated with laser setups
- Risk assessment and how to apply practical control measures
- The application of relevant legislation and standards as well as UCL's arrangements for laser safety
All safety instructor-led training courses are delivered by our team of safety experts.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe laser radiation
- List parts of the body that are at risk
- Identify beam and common non-beam hazards
- Identify different classes of lasers
- Recognise laser warning symbols and signs
- List common laser safety controls
- Understand the UCL arrangements for laser safety and be able to locate the UCL Artificial Optical Radiation Standard and UCL Laser Guidance
Users of laser systems that include Class 3R, 3B and 4 lasers; room users where Class 3R, 3B and 4 lasers are used.
Training courses are free to UCL staff however your Department will be charged £50 if you fail to attend when booked on a course. Non-attendance at first aid courses will incur a higher non-attendance fee.
If you have not received your confirmation notification from the MyHR Mailer please contact Safety Services on 020 3108 8592 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places to external delegates are only offered if there is spare capacity on an instructor-led course.
Please contact email@example.com to be placed on a waiting list stating the course title and date you wish to join.
Last updated: Wednesday, June 9, 2021