- Vision & Strategy
- The Wisdom Agenda
- Research Integrity
- UCL Grand Challenges
- UCL Research Frontiers
- UCL Public Policy
- UCL Research Domains
- Strategic Partnerships
- Access UCL Expertise
- UCL Research Staff Hub
- BEAMS Funding Office
- SLMS Research Coordination Office
- Professor David Price, UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
- REF2014 results: read analysis by the UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
Professor David Price, UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
As Vice-Provost (Research), Professor David Price’s responsibilities include:
- the strategy for, and the performance, distinctiveness and impact of, UCL’s research
- attracting research funding; recruiting and retaining the best researchers; securing the provision of a suitable research environment and infrastructure; research evaluation, including achieving the best possible results from external research assessment; and delivering innovative and effective approaches to research management and planning
- developing and providing strategic coordination of flagship initiatives
- line-management of the Pro-Vice-Provost and Director of Library Services.
His office facilitates, supports and promotes UCL research through six broad strands of activity:
- research coordination and planning for UCL Schools (Institute of Education/SLASH, BEAMS and SLMS)
- researcher development, including through the Doctoral School
- cross-disciplinary development and delivery, including Grand Challenges and Research Domains
- research evaluation (including the Research Excellence Framework [REF]) and research integrity
- research impact (the influence of research on the world), including communications and public policy engagement
- research policy – both developing internal policies, and influencing and responding to external policies.
David is Professor of Mineral Physics and has held the following posts at UCL:
- Executive Dean, UCL Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Head of the UCL Department of Earth Sciences Faculty and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Earth Sciences
- Vice-Dean (Research), UCL Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Head of the UCL Department of Geological Sciences and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Geological & Geophysical Sciences.
David has an undergraduate degree and a PhD from the University of Cambridge. He was a Fulbright-Hayes Scholar and Research Associate at the University of Chicago and a Research Fellow at Clare College Cambridge, before coming to UCL in 1983 as a Royal Society University Research Fellow. At UCL, he was appointed Professor at the age of 33, and later served as Head of the Department of Earth Sciences, and as Dean of the Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences, before being appointed Vice-Provost (Research) in 2007.
He was one of the first to establish the now major field of computational mineral physics. He has published over 250 research papers/chapters, and his work has attracted over 11,000 citations (as reported in Google Scholar).
He was awarded the Schlumberger
Medal of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain in 1999, the Murchison
Medal of the Geological Society of London in 2002 and in
2006 he was awarded the Louis Néel Medal of
Geosciences Union for “establishing
the importance of computational mineral physics in Earth sciences and for
outstanding contributions to the physics of the Earth’s core". He is a Member of the Academia Europaea, a Fellow of the Geological Society of London, and an Elected Fellow of the
American Geophysical Union and of the Mineralogical Society of America.
He was President of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (2004–06) and has been a Vice-President of the European Mineralogical Union. He has been an editor of Elsevier’s Earth and Planetary Science Letters (2005–08). He was a member of the UK’s HEFCE RAE2008 sub-panel on Earth and Environmental Sciences, chaired the HEFCE REF2014 Sub-Panel in this area (2011–14), and was formerly a non-executive Director the North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust (2011–15). He is Chair of Governors of the UCL Academy School, a Council Member of the UK’s Science & Technology Facilities Council, Chair of the Vice-Rectors of Research Committee of the Leagues of European Research Universities, and is Chair of the Forum for Responsible Metrics of the HEFCE.
Office of the Vice-Provost (Research), UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
+44 (0)20 7679 8581 (internal x28581)
Page last modified on 23 jan 17 13:15