The UCL Vice-Provost (Research)
Professor David Price is UCL Vice-Provost (Research), responsible to the Provost for:
- promoting, supporting and facilitating UCL’s research performance
- leading the implementation of the UCL Research Strategy
- leading UCL’s preparation for future research assessment exercises (REF) under the proposed new model
- the implementation of full economic costing for research and subsequently teaching.
He is Professor of Mineral Physics and has held the following posts at UCL:
- Executive Dean, UCL Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Head of the UCL Department of Earth Sciences Faculty and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Earth Sciences
- Vice-Dean (Research), UCL Faculty of Mathematical & Physical Sciences
- Head of the UCL Department of Geological Sciences and Director of the UCL/Birkbeck Research School of Geological & Geophysical Sciences.
David has an undergraduate degree and a PhD from the University of Cambridge. He was a Fulbright-Hayes Scholar and Research Associate at the University of Chicago and a Research Fellow at Clare College Cambridge, before coming to UCL in 1983 as a Royal Society University Research Fellow.
He was one of the first to
establish the now major field of computational
mineral physics, and has published more than 240 research papers. He was awarded the Schlumberger
Medal of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain in 1999, the Murchison
Medal of the Geological Society of London in 2002 and in
2006 he was awarded the Louis Néel Medal of
Geosciences Union for “establishing
the importance of computational mineral physics in Earth sciences and for
outstanding contributions to the physics of the Earth's core".
David is a Member of the Academia Europaea and an Elected Fellow of the
American Geophysical Union and of the Mineralogical Society of America. He
has been an editor of Elsevier’s Earth and Planetary Science Letters, and was President of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and
Ireland. He was a member of the UK’s HEFCE RAE2008 sub-panel on Earth
and Environmental Sciences, and will chair the REF2014 sub-panel in this area.
He is a Trustee of the Royal Institution and is Chair of Governors of the UCL Academy School, Camden.
Office of the Vice-Provost (Research), UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
+44 (0)20 7679 7083
Page last modified on 27 jul 11 14:02