UCL researchers are encouraged to apply for Horizon Europe, the EU’s research & innovation funding programme for 2021-2027.
UCL remains eligible to apply for and receive funding from most aspects of Horizon Europe, both as a project's Coordinator (lead) and as a partner organisation, due to the UK’s anticipated “Associated Country” status.
Horizon Europe Updates
On Tuesday December 14th ERIO ran a workshop on European Research Council ("ERC") applications, presented by Head of European Contract Management Giles Machell, and on Collaborative Health proposals, presented by European Proposal Manager Juliet A. Ellis. Topics included a general background on what Horizon Europe is, how it differs to Horizon 2020, the UK’s association/eligibility for applying to the scheme, and the ERC scheme and the Collaborative Health calls and procedures for submitting proposals. We also covered the services ERIO can offer to help you prepare your application. The recording of this webinar is now available via MediaCentral.
Two stage (1st stage deadline 1st Feb 2022, second stage 6th Sept 2022
- Boosting mental health in Europe in times of change
- Trustworthy AI tools to predict the risk of chronic non-communicable diseases and/or their progression
- Prevention of obesity throughout the life course
- Pre-clinical development of the next generation of immunotherapies for disease or disorders with unmet medical needs
- Vaccines 2.0-developing the next generation of vaccines
- Development of new effective therapies for rare diseases
- Computational models for new patient stratification strategies
Single stage , deadline 21st April 2022
- Cybersecurity of connected medical devices
- Scaling up multi-party computation, data anonymisation techniques and synthetic data
- Setting up a EU Smart Health Innovation Hub
- Setting up a European Electronic Health Record Exchange Format Ecosystem
- New pricing and payment models for cost-effective & affordable health innovations
- Pandemic preparedness
- Non-communicable disease reduction in adolescence and youth
- Global research collaboration for infectious disease preparedness
- European partnership fostering a European Research Area (ERA) for health research.
- Optimising effectiveness in patients of existing prescription drugs for major diseases (except cancer) with the use of biomarkers
- New methods for the effective use of real-world data and/or synthetic data in regulatory decision-making and/or in health technology assessment.
- Personalised blueprint of chronic inflammation in health to disease transition
ERIO's Proposal Support Services ran virtual workshops in April and May 2021, detailing the new regulations and strategy underlying Horizon Europe, as well as details on how to prepare collaborative proposal applications. Please note that the application template and administration/budget procedures for Horizon Europe have changed considerably from those of Horizon 2020.The workshops did not cover either the MCSA or ERC fellowship schemes, however ERIO will be running further workshops in the early- to mid-summer for proposal deadlines later in the year. A recording of the workshop is available here (UCL login required).
Horizon Europe Work Programmes:
- Work Programme 3: Research Infrastructures
- Deadlines 23rd Sept 2021, 20th Jan 2022, 20th Apr 2022, 23rd Sept 2021
- Work Programme 4: Health
- Deadlines 21st Sep 2021, 21st Apr 2022, 1st Feb/6th Sep 2022 (two-stage)
- Work Programme 5: Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society
- Deadlines 7th Oct 2021, 20th Apr 2022
- Work Programme 6: Civil Security for Society
- Deadlines 23rd Nov 2021, 23rd Nov 2022
- Work Programme 7: Digital, Industry & Space
- Deadlines 23rd Sep 2021, 21st Oct 2021, 16th Feb 2022 30th Mar 2022
- Work Programme 8: Climate, Energy & Mobility
- Deadlines 14th Sep 2021, 19th Oct 2021, 5th Jan 2022, 10th Feb/27th Sep 2022 (two stage call), 26th Apr 2022, 6th Sep 2022
- Work Programme 9: Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture & Environment
- Deadlines 6th Oct 2021, 15th Feb 2022
- Work Programme 11: Widening participation & Strengthening the European Research Area
- Deadlines 5th Oct 2021/8th Sep 2022 (two stage) , 18th Jan 2022, 15th Mar 2022, 29th Sep 2022 and 20th Apr/10th Nov 2022 (two stage)
Our goal is to assist UCL in maintaining its position at the forefront of European collaboration in science, technology and innovation, and sustain its position within the top three UK universities in both EU proposal participation and success rates. To help achieve this we offer dedicated Horizon Europe pre-award proposal support services to UCL researchers coordinating collaborative proposals in any topic area.
Our services are designed to increase funding success rates, increase the success of project implementation, enhance societal impact, and to optimise knowledge transfer, including for possible further commercialisation opportunities. We additionally offer support, on a case-by-case basis, to UCL researchers who are partners in applications led by organisations external to UCL.
Unfortunately, our services are not available for Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) and European Research Council (ERC) proposals. For support with these proposals, or for general financial and contractual support across various other EU funding schemes, please contact ERIO’s Contract Management team.
What we offer:
Four levels of pre-award Collaborative Proposal support services are offered:
- Full pre-award proposal support: we provide direct hands-on support from proposal conception through to proposal submission. This includes discussing the suitability of project ideas for the chosen EU topic, and assistance with structuring, editing and targeting the Excellence, Impact and Implementation sections on the proposal template. It does, however, not include writing large amounts of novel text. We work closely with ERIO’s Innovation and Project Management services. We also provide the necessary pre-award financial and general administrative support.
- Proposal Review: a mid-development check of the proposal (for relevance to the work programme, formatting and level of completion, management structure and intellectual property matters, UCL costs and general finance) and a final pre-submission check (completion, UCL costing, submission advice);
- Hands-on Workshops: targeted assistance on Horizon Europe Cluster Topics and proposal preparation. Workshops will be themed and timed to coincide with key Horizon Europe proposal submission deadlines. These are open to research managers and UCL researchers at any stage of their career. Please contact us to learn the timetable of these events;
- Funding and Collaborative Proposal Advice: guidance on UCL-led proposals on EU regulations on how to participate in Horizon Europe. We can provide internal Horizon Europe guidance documents, examples of previously successful collaborative proposals, templates and budget calculators.
UCL researchers interested in above proposal support services should contact Dr. Juliet A. Ellis.
We suggest the following timeline for completing proposals and contacting the team:
- At least 4 weeks before any Stage 1 deadline (if your call has two stages)
- At least 4 months before any Stage 2 or single deadline