About Research Services
6 June 2019
Research Services work in partnership with academic and professional services colleagues across UCL, within collaborating organisations, and with Funders, to support UCL’s externally funded sponsored research portfolio.
What is Sponsored Research?
Research Services are UCL’s Institutional Authority for external funding which is classified as sponsored research as required by Research England and the Charity Commission.
Who are we?
Located in Maple House, Research Services comprises of six interconnected teams who provide support for the full external research funding lifecycle.
The teams are:
- Research Support and Development (Pre-Award)
- Research Contracts
- Research Finance and Assurance (Post Award)
- European Research and Innovation (ERIO)
- UKRI Training Grants/Studentships Team
- Research Operations (including Worktribe support and development)
Facts and Figures
- Research Services supported the submission of 4,667 applications in 2017/18 on behalf of UCL’s academic community.
- We successfully agreed and set-up 1,748 new research awards in 2017/18
- We manage on average a project portfolio of over 7,000 active projects.
- As part of our Post Award activities we forecast and approved in accordance with funders terms and conditions 6,580 staff appointments to research projects in 2017/18.
- Our Research Contracts team successfully negotiated 1,807 contracts with external parties in the last 12 months.
In addition to the guidance on our website, Research Services also host a Pre-Award (FEC) Training session twice a month. The training focusses on how to create and submit a research application costing and understanding the complexities of Full Economic Costing (FEC).
Worktribe Drop In sessions are held on the first Wednesday of each month to support the community with their interactions in the Worktribe system.
We will be introducing regular bite size events over the coming months, so please visit our website regularly to sign up for these events. If you have any suggestions for future events please contact email@example.com.