- IRDR 2012-2013 Seminar series
- First Academic Conference on Risk and Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- IRDR 3rd Annual Conference, 14th June 2013
- Debating Matters National Final
- Professor David Alexander Inaugural Lecture
- UK Japan Symposium on Disasters
- UK Japan Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
- UCL-Tohoku Disaster Risk Reduction Workshop
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2013-2014
- Debating Matters Qualifying Round 2013-2014
- IRDR Building Resilience Forum
- UCL Lunch Hour Public Lecture: After Fukushima
- IRDR Careers and Opportunities Forum 2014
- IRDR Fourth Annual Conference
- Past Event: IRDR Student Forum
- Second Academic Conference on Research, Teaching and Service in Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience
- Past Event: Disability and Disasters
- The road to a safer world from natural hazards - can science impact on policy and practice?
- UCL IRDR Seminar Series 2014-2015
- Special Seminar on Probabilistic Catastrophe Loss Models, 13-Oct-2014
- IRDR Careers and Opportunities Forum, 3rd March 2015
- Security, terrorism and human rights- making London resilient, 5-March-2015
- UCL IRDR 5th Annual Conference, 25th June 2015
- UCL IRDR Third Academic Summit, 24th June 2015
Published: Jun 24, 2015 11:08:00 AM
Published: Jun 16, 2015 4:33:00 PM
Published: Jun 16, 2015 4:29:00 PM
Office location: Rm 38, 2nd floor, South Wing, UCL Main Quadrangle
UCL Lunch Hour Public Lecture: After Fukushima
Publication date: Nov 12, 2013 01:57 PM
Start: Nov 19, 2013 01:15 PM
Location: Darwin Lecture Theatre access via Malet Place
Risk and Resilience to Disasters in Japan
The Japanese islands face an extraordinary range of natural hazards – earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami, lahars and tropical cyclones.
In the wake of the 2011 tsunami and Fukushima nuclear disaster, Prof Sammonds looks at the impact of disasters, recovery and the building of resilience to natural hazards in Japan.
Professor Peter Sammonds, Director, UCL Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction.
Peter is strategic advisor for the increasing resilience to natural hazards programme of the NERC. He has been JSPS Research Fellow and Visiting Professor at the Earthquake Research Institute, University of Tokyo and participated in 3 post disaster visits to the Tohoku region, including the Institution of Structural Engineers, EEFIT investigation.
UCL Lunch Hour Lectures
Lunch Hour Lectures are an opportunity for staff and students of UCL and the public to sample the research work taking place at UCL, in bite sized chunks. Speakers are drawn from across the university, and lectures frequently showcase new research and recent academic publications.