Director UCL Quantitative and Applied Spatial Economics Research Laboratory (QASER)
Francesca Romana Medda is a Professor of Applied Economics and Finance at the University College London (UCL). From 2010 she is the Director of the UCL QASER (Quantitative and Applied Spatial Economics Research) Laboratory. Since 2012 she serves as economic adviser to the UK Ministry of Environment and Agriculture (Defra) and in 2014 at the Ministry of Finance (HM Treasury). Her research focuses on project finance, financial engineering and risk evaluation in different infrastructure sectors such as: the maritime industry, energy innovation and new technologies, urban investments (smart cities), supply chain provision and optimisation, and airport efficiency. Her work is published in leading academic and practitioner journals. She has worked and works actively with the private and public sector including The European Investment Bank, The World Bank, UNESCO, UN-Habitat, WILLIS Re, HALCROW, and UITP. At present she holds several grants, two of which pertain to the application of complexity analysis in the real world. She is Co-Investigator in the £6.2m EPSRC Programme Grant “Liveable Cities” and the £5.8m grant “New Business for Infrastructure Investments”. From 2007 she served on the Executive Board of Directors of a major public transport company in Italy.
- Caschili, S., Medda, F., Parola, F., & Ferrari, C. (2014). An Analysis of Shipping Agreements: The Cooperative Container Network. Networks and Spatial Economics. doi:10.1007/s11067-014-9230-1
- Ekins, P., Baddeley, M., Medda, F., Nesheim, L., & Radosevic, S. (2014). Greening the recovery: the report of the UCL Green Economy Commission. University College London: OVPR/UCL Public Policy.
- Suárez-Alemán,, A., Truijllo, L., & Medda, F. (2014). Short sea shipping as intermodal competitor: a theoretical analysis of European transport policies. Maritime Policy & Management: The flagship journal of international shipping and port research. doi:10.1080/03088839.2014.904947
- Cocconcelli, L., & Medda, F. (2013). Boom and bust in the Estonian real estate market and the role of land tax as a buffer. Land Use Policy, 30, 392-400. doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2012.04.007
- Medda, F., & Liu, Q. (2013). Determinants and strategies for the development of container terminals. Journal of Productivity Analysis, Volume 40 (Issue 1), 83-98. doi:10.1007/s11123-012-0291-1
- Medda, F., Carbonaro, G., & Davis, S. (2013). Public Private Partnerships in transportation: some insights from the European experience. IATSS Research. doi:10.1016/j.iatssr.2012.11.002
- Medda, F. (2013). The economics of uniqueness. Handshake: IFC's quarterly journal on public-private partnerships (10), 12-15.
- Trujillo, L., & Medda, F. (n.d.). A comparative analysis of efficiency of container ports and terminals in the North Mediterranean area.
- Medda, F., Nijkamp, P., & Rietveld, P. (2012). A morphogenetic perspective on spatial complexity: transport costs and urban shapes. In A. Wilson (Ed.), Urban modelling. London UK: Routledge. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-01554-0
- Caschili, S., & Medda, F. (2012). A review of the maritime container shipping industry as a complex adaptive system. Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems, 10 (1), 1-15.