- Teaching Programmes
- Research Programmes
- Research Departments
- Clinical, Educational Health and Psychology
- Developmental Science
- Experimental Psychology
- Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Language & Communication
- 1st UCL Graduate Conference in Linguistics
- LI Squibs
- Linguistics Careers
- How to find us
- Eye Tracker Lab
- Speech, Hearing and Phonetic Sciences
- UCL Interaction Centre
- Research Facilities
- News and Events
- Vacancies and Opportunities
- Contact Us
Read all the latest news within the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences.
Divisional Subject Pool
- Seminar Series: 7 May 2014
Principal Supervisor: Robyn Carston
Subsidary Supervisor: Paula Rubio-Fernández
Figurative uses of language and the distinction between metaphor and simile. How both theoretical and experimental pragmatics can inform these research topics. Use of language in psychotherapeutic exchanges and the intricacies of this unique discourse situation.
- Needham-Didsbury, I. (2011). The Application of Metaphors in Psychotherapy. MRes Speech, Language & Cognition Thesis, University College London, UK.
- Needham-Didsbury, I. (2008). Metaphors and Similes: Processes and Effects. BA Linguistics Dissertation, University College London, UK.
Presentations (invited*, referred**)
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Metaphor in Psychotherapy: Implications for Utterance Interpretation. Meeting of the Bristol Centre for Linguistics. Bristol, UK. November 2013. [*]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Interpreting Metaphorical Meaning: Pragmatic Routes. 4th International Conference on Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models (UICM4). Brussels, Belgium, September 2013. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. The Use of Metaphorical Language in Psychotherapeutic Exchanges. The 2013 Metaphor Festival. Stockholm, Sweden. August 2013. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Metaphorical Use of Language in Psychotherapy: Cognitive Motivations & Pragmatic Implications. Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition (SALC IV). Joensuu, Finland. June, 2013. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Psychotherapeutic Discourse: Implications for Pragmatic Routes of Metaphor Comprehension. UCL Linguistics PhD Day. London, UK, May 2013. [*]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. The Application of Metaphorical Language in Psychotherapy. RaAM Specialised Seminar: Metaphor, Metonymy & Emotion. Poznan, Poland. May, 2013. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Metaphoric Worlds - in Poetry & Psychotherapy. Cognition and Poetics (CaP-12). Osnabruck, Germany. April, 2013. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Metaphorical Language in Psychotherapy. 6th Interpreting for Relevance: Discourse and Translation, (IfRC). Warsaw, Poland. September, 2012. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Extended Metaphors & Affective States. Preliminaries to an account of metaphor in psychotherapy. Meaning, Context & Cognition (MCC). Lodz, Poland. March, 2012. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Extended Metaphors & Affective States. Preliminaries to an account of metaphor in psychotherapy. International Symposium on Intercultural, Cognitive and Social Pragmatics (EPICS V). Seville, Spain. (Poster). March, 2012. [**]
- Needham-Didsbury, I. Extended Metaphors & Affective States. Preliminaries to an account of metaphor in psychotherapy. Psycholinguistics in the South East Workshop (PsyLingSE). London, UK. (Poster). March, 2012. [**]
- Scientific Committee: 1st UCL Graduate Conference in Linguistics, London, UK. November 2013.
- Teaching Assistant. PLIN1001: Introduction to Semantics & Pragmatics A. Autumn 2012, UCL (~45 BA Students).
- Teaching Assistant. PLIN2004: Pragmatics & Cognition. Spring 2013, UCL (~46 BA Students).
- Student Representative, MRes Speech, Language & Cognition. UCL. 2010-2011.