Information for Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Prospectus
- Graduate Prospectus
- International Students
- Meet UCL
- Scholarships and funding
- Widening Participation
- Upcoming Events
- Prospective Students
- Years 7-11 Activities
- Years 12-13 Activities
- Year 12 Masterclasses
- Year 12 Summer School
- UCL Year 12 Conference
- UCL Gateways Conferences 2014
- Taster Courses
- Lloyds Scholars Autumn School: Careers in the City
- Sutton Trust
- Adult Learners' Activities
- Young people in care/care leavers
- Open Days/Visits
- UCL Sutton Scholars
- Current Students
- School Teachers
- UCAS Fairs
- UCL Staff
- Contact Us
- Open Day 2014
- Register your interest
Discover UCL: A Summer School for D/deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
The Discover UCL Summer School is an exciting opportunity
exclusively for D/deaf and hard of hearing students in year 11 and year 12. The
summer school is a three day residential programme that gives you the chance to
find out more about UCL and stay in university halls of residences for two
A BSL translation of this webpage should play in the box above. If you cannot see the video playing, it can also be accessed here.
The programme is being delivered in collaboration with
The Deafness Cognition and Language (DCAL) Research Centre, based at UCL. You can find out more about DCAL here.
The summer school consists of a variety of academic taster sessions to give you an idea of the different courses that can be studied at university. We will also have group sessions on student support, including; writing UCAS personal statements, student finance applications, as well as general support available (BSL interpreters, note takers, etc) and, more importantly, how you can access it.
You will meet D/deaf and hard of hearing graduates who will tell you what you need to know about university, and what they are up to now. All of our sessions will take place on the UCL campus, in the heart of central London.
In the evening, we have arranged some fun activities in
London. Trips could include a visit up The Shard and a visit to a Signed West
We want to make sure that your time at UCL is enjoyable and fun, so it is important that you are aware of the support that we can provide during your stay with us.
Two British Sign Language Interpreters will work on the summer school each day and we will provide staff who know British Sign Language in the evenings and overnight. Although we won't be able to provide individual note-takers, we will provide a palantypist during lectures and will ensure that participants have access to printed resources for all of the sessions.
The Discover UCL Summer School is open to D/deaf or hard of hearing
students (home UK only), currently studying in Year 11 or Year 12 at maintained
schools or colleges in the UK.
In the case of oversubscription only, priority will be given to students who meet all or most of the following criteria:
- Will be the first person in your family to attend university.
- Have achieved/be on track to achieve at least 5 A/A*s at GCSE.
- Be on target to achieve UCL’s minimum grade requirements for the course that they are interested in applying to.
- Come from neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education.
- Are taking relevant subjects in relation to the subject that they are interested in studying.
Applications for the 2015 summer school will open in early 2015.
If you would like more information on the programme prior to applying, please contact Alice McLaren on email@example.com
- The summer school is only for D/deaf or Hard of Hearing students
- The summer school is free of charge to attend
- UCL will cover the cost of your travel, two nights accommodation, all meals, and refreshments.
- It runs from Monday 10 to Wednesday 12 August, 2015.
- There are 20 spaces available for year 11 and year 12 students
You must have 100% attendance on the summer school