At UCL we're proud of our pioneering history, our distinguished present and our exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student - here are some of the reasons why.
We're proud of our pioneering history, distinguished present and exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student for so many reasons.
- World-leading, world-impacting research*
- 400+ degree programmes
- Students from more than 150 countries
- 29 Nobel laureates
- An award-winning sustainable university^
- Over 300 student clubs and societies
- In the heart of London, the world's best student city**
*Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014)
^People & Planet University League for environmental and ethical performance
**QS Best Student Cities 2019
Watch our video below to discover what makes UCL special.
- We are one of the world's very best universities, consistently placed in the global top 20 in a wide range of world rankings. Currently we are 8th in the QS World University Rankings (2020) and 3rd in Europe in the Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic World Rankings (2019).
- We are a world-leader in research, with outstanding results in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
- UCL is a multi-disciplinary university, home to centres of teaching excellence in subjects from medicine to languages, law to engineering and history to astrophysics. We encourage interdisciplinary study and believe that all areas of study can inform and enrich each other.
- We have found that intellectually curious students learn best when they experience first-hand the challenges of conducting research – so initiatives like the Connected Curriculum scheme aim to ensure that our students can take an active part in the thriving research culture at UCL.
- There has been at least one Nobel Laureate from the UCL community every decade since the establishment of the prizes in 1901.
In the heart of London
Our central-London location gives our students access not only to the best in entertainment and nightlife, but also to cultural and academic resources. We are close to, and have teaching and research links with, countless hospitals, museums, galleries, libraries and professional bodies. In fact, London has been ranked, for the second year running, as the best city in the world for students (QS Best Student Cities 2017, 2018 and 2019)!
- Around 41% of our students come from outside the UK, from more than 150 countries, and UCL has a friendly and cosmopolitan atmosphere. We work hard to embed a global perspective in all our teaching.
- There are plenty of opportunities to study abroad for a term or a year - around 25% of our students spend some time in another country as part of their degree programme.
- We have set six 'Grand Challenges' which bring together UCL people from different disciplines to develop joined-up solutions.
Supporting your ambitions
- UCL Careers offers professional help and advice to students seeking employment, work experience placements or further study, and our Alumni Relations office facilitates networking to help UCL graduates in their chosen careers.
- UCL Innovation & Enterprise, our centre for entrepreneurship, offers training, networking, competitions and business support for UCL students seeking to start their own business.
Life after study
- Around 90% of UCL graduates enter work or further study within six months of graduating (data taken from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey undertaken by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), looking at destinations of UK and EU graduates in the 2017 cohort).