UCL's policy of keeping Wednesday afternoons free of teaching, gives you the opportunity to take part in social and sporting activities.
UCL Bloomsbury Theatre
Student productions normally take place in the Bloomsbury Theatre, a professionally equipped theatre owned and run by UCL which hosts professional and student performances alike. The Bloomsbury is currently undergoing renovation and is due to reopen in 2018, however, students may use the Bloomsbury Theatre Studio, a smaller space on the same site. UCL is also supporting student societies in finding alternative venues for performances while the Bloomsbury is closed.
The Student View
" I'm a President of the UCLU Russian Society and an active member of the UCL French and Spanish and Latin American Societies - I love learning languages
It's hard to say what I enjoy the most at UCL. I'm a President of the UCLU Russian Society and an active member of the UCL French and Spanish and Latin American Societies - I love learning languages and the Spanish society organises trips, which is awesome! I also used to be a Transition Mentor for UCL, and now I am a Senior Transition Mentor.
Outside of UCL activities, I am currently working in a school for girls, helping with a psychology club. I am also applying for a volunteering position in a crime victim support centre. If I get a spare hour or so, I love going out with friends - there
are so many things that you can do in London!
Anastasia Vikhanova, Third Year, Psychology BSc
DJ-ing with our own student radio station, Rare FM, to performing with
the Chamber Music Club or University College Opera, or joining one of
UCLU's many music societies, we've something for every taste. Bookable
rehearsal rooms are available on campus and in some residences.
Bars, cafés and shops
runs three bars, four cafés, and a shop on
UCL's Bloomsbury campus. Open throughout the day and into the night,
many have computers and Wi-Fi access.
- UCL Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology - one of the world's greatest collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology
- UCL Grant Museum of Zoology - the only remaining university zoological museum in London, founded in 1828
- UCL Art Museum - more than 10,000 fine art objects, including prints and drawings by Old Master artists
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Collections - fine teaching and reference collections, including prehistoric ceramics, stone artefacts, and Classical Greek and Roman ceramics
- UCL Geology Collections - includes rock, mineral and fossil samples collected over the last 175 years
- UCL Ethnography Collections - an enormous variety of objects, textiles and artefacts from all over the world
- UCL Science and Engineering and Galton Collections - scientific apparatus, equipment and memorabilia belonging to various scientists, including Sir Francis Galton FRS (1822-1911)
Sport and leisure
you're a team sports player, interested in keeping fit or just looking
for a chance to socialise and have fun, there are plenty of
opportunities at UCL.
- UCL Sports Grounds are located in Shenley in Hertfordshire and include full-size football pitches, rugby and lacrosse pitches, mini football pitches, cricket squares, all-weather netball and tennis courts, plus a pavilion. There is a free and convenient bus service on match days.
- Somers Town Sports Centre is located north of the Bloomsbury campus and provides basketball, badminton, volleyball and table tennis facilities.
- Astor College Sports Hall is located near the Bloomsbury campus, providing clubs and societies with space to engage in a range of indoor sports.
- Old Cranleighans in Surrey provides hockey pitches for our Men's and Women's Hockey Teams.
- Bloomsbury Fitness is UCLU's very own health and fitness club, which includes a full complement of fitness equipment as well as squash courts and a dojo.
- The University of London Union houses a 33-metre swimming pool that's right next door to our Bloomsbury campus.
runs around 60 sports and dance clubs. These include everything you
might expect as well as some activities you may not, such as Capoeira,
Kickboxing, Water Polo, Dodgeball, Ice Hockey, Mountaineering and Ultimate