UCL's policy of keeping Wednesday afternoons free of teaching, gives you the opportunity to take part in social and sporting activities.
UCL Bloomsbury Theatre and Studio
The Bloomsbury is a 500-seat theatre on Gordon Street, next to the Students' Union UCL building, known for hosting innovative stand-up comedy as well as gigs, science events and student productions. The Bloomsbury is currently being renovated and is scheduled to reopen in the autumn of 2018; in the meantime the smaller Bloomsbury Studio hosts stand-up comedy, spoken word, music and student performances.
DJ-ing with our own student radio station, Rare FM, to performing with
the Chamber Music Club or University College Opera, or joining one of Students' Union UCL's many music societies, we've something for every taste. Bookable
rehearsal rooms are available on campus and in some residences.
Bars, cafés and shops
Students' Union UCL
runs three bars, four cafés, and a shop on
UCL's Bloomsbury campus. Open throughout the day and into the night,
many have computers and Wi-Fi access.
- UCL Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology - one of the world's greatest collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology
- UCL Grant Museum of Zoology - the only remaining university zoological museum in London, founded in 1828
- UCL Art Museum - more than 10,000 fine art objects, including prints and drawings by Old Master artists
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Collections - fine teaching and reference collections, including prehistoric ceramics, stone artefacts, and Classical Greek and Roman ceramics
- UCL Geology Collections - includes rock, mineral and fossil samples collected over the last 175 years
- UCL Ethnography Collections - an enormous variety of objects, textiles and artefacts from all over the world
- UCL Science and Engineering and Galton Collections - scientific apparatus, equipment and memorabilia belonging to various scientists, including Sir Francis Galton FRS (1822-1911)
Sport and leisure
Students' Union UCL provides one of the largest competitive sports programmes in the UK. With sports from surfing to lacrosse and gliding to judo, there are endless opportunities to join TeamUCL. If you're at the top of your game we can also provide additional training and funding.
you're a team sports player, interested in keeping fit or just looking
for a chance to socialise and have fun, there are plenty of
opportunities at UCL.
- UCL Sports Grounds are located in Shenley in Hertfordshire and include full-size football pitches, rugby and lacrosse pitches, mini football pitches, cricket squares, all-weather netball and tennis courts, plus a pavilion. There is a free and convenient bus service on match days.
- Somers Town Community Sports Centre, a 15-minute walk away, hosts many of our indoor sports and provides basketball, badminton, volleyball and table tennis facilities.
- Astor College Sports Hall is located near the Bloomsbury campus, providing clubs and societies with space to engage in a range of indoor sports.
- Old Cranleighans in Surrey provides hockey pitches for our Men's and Women's Hockey Teams.
- Bloomsbury Fitness is Students' Union UCL's very own health and fitness club, which includes a full complement of fitness equipment as well as squash courts and a dojo.
- The University of London Union houses a 33-metre swimming pool that's right next door to our Bloomsbury campus.
- Students' Union UCL
runs around 60 sports and dance clubs. These include everything you
might expect as well as some activities you may not, such as Capoeira,
Kickboxing, Water Polo, Dodgeball, Ice Hockey, Mountaineering and Ultimate