UCL's policy of keeping Wednesday afternoons free of teaching gives you the opportunity to take part in social and sporting activities.
UCL Bloomsbury Theatre and Studio
The Bloomsbury Spotlight productions of Students' Union UCL are fully organised and arranged by UCL students and range from drama, musicals and dance to jazz and opera.
The 500-seat main auditorium, newly refurbished, is fitted with the latest sound and lighting equipment, alongside the Bloomsbury Studio, a flexible performance space for up to 70 people.
From DJ-ing with our own student radio station, Rare FM, to playing with the Chamber Music Club, dancing on stage, or singing with University College Opera, we've something for every taste.
Bookable rehearsal rooms are available on campus and in some residences.
Cafés, bars and shops
Students' Union UCL runs four cafés, four bars and a shop on UCL's Bloomsbury campus. Open throughout the day and into the night, many have computers and Wi-Fi access.
- UCL Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology - one of the world's greatest collections of Egyptian and Sudanese archaeology
- UCL Grant Museum of Zoology - the only remaining university zoological museum in London, founded in 1828
- UCL Art Museum - more than 10,000 fine art objects, including prints and drawings by Old Master artists
- UCL Institute of Archaeology Collections - fine teaching and reference collections, including prehistoric ceramics, stone artefacts, and Classical Greek and Roman ceramics
- UCL Geology Collections - includes rock, mineral and fossil samples collected over the last 175 years
- UCL Ethnography Collections - an enormous variety of objects, textiles and artefacts from all over the world
- UCL Science and Engineering and Galton Collections - scientific apparatus, equipment and memorabilia belonging to various scientists, including Sir Francis Galton FRS (1822-1911)
Sport and leisure
Students' Union UCL provides one of the largest competitive sports programmes in the UK. With sports from surfing to lacrosse and gliding to judo, there are endless opportunities to join TeamUCL. If you're at the top of your game we can also provide additional training and funding.
Whether you're a team sports player, interested in keeping fit or just looking for a chance to socialise and have fun, there are plenty of opportunities at UCL.
- UCL Sports Grounds are located in Shenley in Hertfordshire and include full-size football pitches, rugby and lacrosse pitches, mini football pitches, cricket squares, all-weather netball and tennis courts, plus a pavilion. There is a free and convenient bus service on match days.
- Somers Town Community Sports Centre, a 15-minute walk away, hosts many of our indoor sports and provides basketball, badminton, volleyball and table tennis facilities.
- Astor College Sports Hall is located near the Bloomsbury campus, providing clubs and societies with space to engage in a range of indoor sports.
- Old Cranleighans in Surrey provides hockey pitches for our Men's and Women's Hockey Teams.
- Bloomsbury Fitness is Students' Union UCL's very own health and fitness club, which includes a full complement of fitness equipment as well as squash courts and a dojo.
- The University of London Union houses a 33-metre swimming pool that's right next door to our Bloomsbury campus.
- Students' Union UCL runs around 60 sports and dance clubs. These include everything you might expect as well as some activities you may not, such as capoeira, kickboxing, water polo, dodgeball, ice hockey, mountaineering and ultimate frisbee.