Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy
Study at UCL STEaPP
UCL Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy (STEaPP) was founded in the recognition that science, technology and engineering expertise are vital to tackling today’s most pressing global challenges, from energy access to climate change and congested cities. We know that for the most impactful results, public policy needs to be informed by different kinds of expertise and evidence.
Our courses are taught by established experts and practitioners who provide practical insight into how technological and engineering innovation interact with world of policymaking. The faculty at UCL STEaPP have first-hand knowledge of working with government, the third sector and in private sector consultancy. We consistently produce impactful research and this gives our students the opportunity to work with and learn from leaders in a diversity of sectors, including, healthcare and regulation, cybersecurity, energy transition and city leadership.
UCL STEaPP will push your critical thinking, challenge your positions and help you to better understand how your own ideas about the world shape your perceptions of what makes good policy. It’s our aim that you will leave us with knowledge, analytical skills and a global network of likeminded individuals that will enable you to think innovatively about the issues and challenges shaping the future.
Our degree programmes
Research at UCL STEaPP
At STEaPP we strive to maintain a balance between research that applies our expertise to understanding and addressing pressing societal challenges, and research that explores and develops the practices through which Science, Technology & Engineering knowledge can be mobilised to address a broad array of such challenges.
- Academic profiles
- Dr Irina Brass, Director of Education and Co-Lead for Digital Technologies and Policy MPA
- Professor Yacob Mulugetta, Department Graduate Tutor (Research) and Co-Lead for Development, Technology and Innovation Policy MPA
- Dr Chris Tyler, Route Lead for Science, Engineering and Public Policy MPA
- Dr Julius Mugwagwa, Co-Lead for Development, Technology and Innovation Policy MPA
- Dr Leonie Tanczer, Co-Lead for Digital Technologies and Policy MPA
- Dr Adam Cooper, Route Lead for Energy, Technology and Public MPA
- Dr Jenny McArthur, Co-Lead for Sustainable Infrastructures and Public Policy MPA
- Dr Carla Washbourne, Co-Lead for Sustainable Infrastructures and Public Policy MPA
- Dr Ellie Cosgrave, Route Lead for Urban Innovation and Policy MPA
- Student profiles