International Student Support
International Student Support Team
We are a diverse community made up of people from all backgrounds, from all over the world. The International Student Support team provides specialist advice and support for all non-UK students at UCL, helping them to make the most of their time at UCL and in London. In particular, the team helps with the practical steps involved in settling into life in the UK, such as setting up a bank account or accessing healthcare. They also work closely with the Student Immigration Advice team to offer a full range of support to our international student community.
UCL International Pre-Master's
The UCL International Pre-Master’s is a 6 month (January – June) or 9 month (September – June) preparation course for international students who are aiming to study a graduate degree in the UK and would like to improve their English language and academic skills before they start.
The course prepares you for your Master’s programme through three compulsory modules which will introduce you to the English language, research methodologies and academic skills necessary to succeed at UCL or another leading UK university.
With an average of 14 students per class and regular one-to-one tutorials, you will receive personalised support and guidance, including assistance with your application for entry to Master’s programmes.
Our students have gone on to study a wide range of Master’s degrees at UCL and other top UK universities, including: University of Cambridge; University of Edinburgh; London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
English language requirements
- IELTS 5.5 overall with 5.5 in each subtest (September 2021 entry).
- IELTS 6.0 overall with 6.0 in each subtest (January 2022 entry).
Please see our website for other acceptable English language qualifications
- a completed university degree with a result equivalent to a lower second-class (2:2).
- a conditional offer for a Master’s degree at a UK university.
Pre-sessional English Courses
UCL Pre-sessional English courses are intensive courses (18-, 11-, 9-, and 7-week) for international students who are planning to study a graduate degree (MA, MSc, LLM or MPhil/PhD) at UCL, but do not meet the English language requirement of their conditional offer for a UCL graduate programme. We also accept applications from unconditional offer holders and undergraduates.
The 2021 Pre-sessional Courses – offered by the UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE) - will be delivered entirely online for a second summer. 96% of CLIE Pre-sessional English students progressed to a UCL degree programme after successfully passing the online Pre-sessional course in 2020.
The course is designed to help you meet the English language entry requirements of your degree course. It aims to develop:
- Your English language and study skills to the level required to meet your offer in the final assessments and to be successful in your future studies.
- Skills in understanding and critically engaging in academic texts.
- The ability to write relevant, well-argued essays in an academic style using appropriate sources.
- Skills and strategies to communicate effectively in academic contexts, including presentations, seminars and tutorials.
- Development of autonomy through conducting guided research and active reflection on feedback, including peer feedback, and self-evaluation.
- Your ability to be a collaborative participant through active engagement in the UCL CLIE online academic community.
- Your digital literacy and e-learning skills to the level required to be an effective online learner.
You will hold an offer (conditional or unconditional) for a UCL graduate or undergraduate degree programme.
Which Pre-sessional English course you can apply for depends on:
- Your current level of English
- The English level required for your future degree course.
Please see our website for further advice on which course is suitable for you.