At UCL we're proud of our pioneering history, our distinguished present and our exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student – here are some of the reasons why.
- Research Excellence Framework 2014 rated UCL 1st in the UK for research strength (by a measure of average score multiplied by staff numbers submitted)
- Rated 10th in the QS World University Rankings (2021)
- 29 Nobel Prizes have been awarded to people who are, or were, students or academics at UCL
We attract the best and the brightest staff and students
We have the highest number of professors in any UK university, with 975 professors among our academic staff - the UK university average is 85.
This means you can:
- Study with world-leading experts and benefit from a programme of distinguished visitors and guest speakers.
- Benefit from outstanding individual attention for your studies.
- Gain opportunities for groundbreaking cross-disciplinary investigation through our wide-ranging expertise across all fields of study provides.
- £476 million of research income (UCL annual report and financial statement 2017/18).
- UCL is the best performing university in the first year of the EU funding scheme Horizon 2020, securing a total of €73.2 million over 55 projects (source: Research Professional).
- UCL has the third highest number of European Research Council (FP7) grants awarded to EU higher education institutions 2007–13.
Our exceptional links and networks give you the opportunity to make contacts and gain valuable experience, as well as the chance to work on meaningful projects that have a positive impact on society.
UCL’s ongoing links with industry and other partners include: Arup, Cisco, the BBC, the EU, CERN, NASA, the UK Parliament, the UN, Dyson, Eisai, the British Museum, Microsoft and Intel among others.