Getting your academic transcript

The academic transcript is a mandatory document for all applications.

What is an academic transcript?

An academic transcript is a list of modules/subjects and the grades you received during your programme of study. Some institutions may also list the credits for each module.

You must provide an official transcript from the Academic Registry or Student Records office at your institution. The transcript must be:

  • on institutional-headed paper;
  • stamped and signed by the issuing office; and
  • in English.

If your documents are not in English, you must also upload a full translation of each document – prepared by your institution or a registered translator. You must not translate the documents yourself.

We cannot accept:

  • Screenshots of your results.
  • Unofficial transcripts.
  • Transcripts issued by your academic department.

If you are currently completing your studies

You will need to request an interim transcript from the Academic Registry or Student Records office at your institution. The interim transcript should list the modules you are enrolled on and the grades you have achieved so far.

Studying in mainland China and applying for graduate study after 8 February 2022

If you are currently studying in mainland China and your university issues an official grade certificate (成绩证明) please upload a copy (including an English translation which is signed and stamped by your university) to your application form.

Please note:

  • The grade certificate must contain your current weighted average percentage (we do not accept GPA scores).
  • You can upload your official grade certificate and the English translation as one document in the additional documents section of the Education page.
  • The grade certificate is not a required document. That means that if your university does not provide an official grade certificate, we will still be able to consider your application.
  • You do not need to upload the official grade certificate if you have already graduated.

If you have already applied and did not include your official grade certificate, please do not send a copy to us by email. We cannot accept additional documents from you after you have applied. Don’t worry – we will assess your application based on the documents you have already provided.

If you have completed your studies and graduated

You should provide your final official degree transcript detailing the modular marks received throughout your degree. It should also contain your final award grade and award/conferral date.

If your university does not provide an award date on the final transcript, please also provide one of the following:

  • A degree certificate. (If you have studied in China you are also required to provide a graduation certificate and your official grade certificate (成绩证明) confirming your overall percentage average, issued on or after the date of graduation. If your university does not issue official grade certificates, we will determine your overall weighted average based on the information provided in your transcript.)
  • A provisional degree certificate. (For graduates of Indian institutions only within two years of completing your degree.)
  • An award letter from your Academic Registry. (Please check with your institution to see if this is available to you.)
  • A statement of student status from your Academic Registry. (Please check with your institution to see if this is available to you.)
  • Notification of results. (Graduates of Nigerian institutions only.)

If you study at an affiliate institution and your degree is awarded by another institution, all transcripts (and proof of your final award grade and award/conferral date) must come from the awarding institution – not the affiliate institute of study.

Including your transcript in your application

You will be asked to upload your transcript in the Education section of the online application form.

If you need to provide an English translation of your transcript, you will be asked to upload English language and original language transcripts as two separate documents.

If you have graduated from your academic studies, you will also be encouraged to upload a copy of your degree or diploma certificate(s).

Files must be less than 5MB. Allowed file types: .pdf (preferred), .docx, .jpeg, or .jpg.


UCL reserves the right to request further documentation if any documents do not meet our requirements. Where a final grade is not provided, UCL Admissions will make a calculation based on the full transcript.

In the case of any discrepancy between a transcript-based calculation and any other documentation provided, UCL reserves the right to uphold any decision made on our own assessment of the final results.