The personal statement allows you to express your motivations and suitability for the programme you are applying to.
There is a section in the application form for you to enter a personal statement (3,000 character limit, including spaces) or attach a statement as a separate document. Your personal statement should be no longer than two sides of A4 paper.
You should consider the following questions when writing your personal statement:
- Why do you want to undertake the programme or research?
- What are your academic interests?
- Why do you wish to study at UCL?
- What educational experience do you have?
- Do you have any relevant work experience?
- Have you completed any extracurricular and voluntary activities relevant to the programme?
- What are your career aspirations?
Some programmes request that you supply programme-specific information in your personal statement. To check if this is relevant to your programme please consult the relevant programme in the Graduate Prospectus.