Rex worked in a variety of roles at the University of Birmingham from 1984 to 1994. He moved to the University of Southampton as Academic Registrar, and then to Oxford Brookes University as Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Registrar in 2002. He took up the post of Vice-Provost (Operations) at UCL in September 2009.
Rex's remit includes:
- leadership of Professional Services across UCL
- coordinating strategic planning across UCL
- membership of the Provost's Senior Management Team
- convening the Health and Safety Committee and UCL's Major Incident Team
- designated officer for receipt of disclosures under UCL's Policy on Public Interest Disclosure
- relationships with UCLU